Scoville Hall, the 1925 building used by the Amagansett Presbyterian Church for social events, meetings, and fund-raisers, was destroyed in a pre-dawn fire on Saturday morning. The cause was under investigation.
Sirens blared over Amagansett sometime after 3 a.m. Saturday. Additional help came from neighboring fire departments.
Meeting House Lane remained closed into Saturday afternoon with crime scene tape and police stationed at the Main Street intersection.
The building that would later become Scoville Hall was dedicated in March 1925 and known as the Parish House. In 1973 it was renamed in honor of the Rev. Clarence Beecher Scoville, who had guided the congregation from 1919 to 1943. He died in 1972, according to Carleton Kelsey’s “Amagansett: A Pictorial History.”
Albert Warren Topping of Bridgehampton was the 90-foot-long hall’s builder. It was designed by H.S. Waterbury of New York City.
Scoville Hall, as it appeared in an undated photograph
Amagansett Historical Society