The owners of a run-down house on Abraham's Path near Three Mile Harbor agreed today to demolish the structure, which East Hampton Town Supervisor Larry Cantwell called "a blight on the community," after the owners were served a notice earlier this week that they were in violation of a conditional discharge they had agreed to last September in East Hampton Justice Court.
"They came in today and picked up the demolition permit," Colleen Reynolds, a secretary to Mr. Cantwell, said Friday afternoon. The exact timeline for the demolition was not clear, but it will be soon.
As part of a settlement between the town and the property owners, the house, at 29 Abraham's Path, was supposed to have been torn down last October. The property is owned by May Six, a limited liability company. The owners had agreed to pay a $1,000 fine after pleading guilty to two counts of violating New York State property maintenance regulations, with the stipulation that the house be torn down by Oct. 10, 2013.
In a press release issued Friday morning, Mr. Cantwell described the house as "abandoned" and "ramshackle."
Mr. Cantwell has promised stepped up enforcement of so-called quality of life issues, under which this matter falls. Earlier this month, the town charged Sydney S. Griffin, the owner of a house on Northwest Landing Road in East Hampton's Northwest Woods, with 29 violations for allegedly having multiple units in a single family house, in violation of the town zoning code.
The 75-year-old Mr. Griffin was due back in court Monday, but was said to have been hospitalized, forcing a postponement of the court proceedings.