Hearing on Land Purchase for Amagansett Parking

East Hampton Town is hoping to purchase this land and another parcel east of the municipal parking lot in Amagansett to expand the lot. Carissa Katz

In the center of Amagansett, where the Bistrian family recently announced its intention to begin developing the farmland north of the municipal parking lot, East Hampton Town is considering purchasing two other parcels of land to expand the lot to the east. A hearing on the purchases will be held Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at Town Hall.

The parcels, which are adjacent to the parking lot, are owned by Herbert E. Field and Thomas F. Field. A half-acre plot zoned for commercial use has a selling price of $1.1. million and a two-acre portion of a slightly larger lot has a price tag of $1.8 million.

As the two-acre parcel includes farmland, only 30 percent of it may be used for parking; the remainder will be preserved. Accordingly, the town would pay for 30 percent of its cost from capital funds and use community preservation fund money for the remaining 70 percent.

While the town has long eyed the Bistrian land for preservation, years of efforts to hammer out a deal have been unsuccessful.