Fast Response Saves School Building

Outdoor pizza oven apparently sparked a grass fire Wednesday afternoon
Firefighters put out a grass fire on Wednesday at the Hayground School in Bridgehampton that had reached a kitchen building and was climbing an outside wall.

An outdoor pizza oven sparked a grass fire that quickly spread to a building at the Hayground School in Bridgehampton on a windy Wednesday afternoon, according to fire officials.

"It could have been really bad," Bridgehampton Fire Chief
Gary Horsburgh said after firefighters extinguished the blaze.

Eastern Long Island is under a wind advisory that officials warned could fuel brush fires, especially given current dry conditions. There were several small brush and garbage fires reported in Southampton and a large brush fire in Manorville on Wednesday.

At the Hayground School an outside wall side at Jeff's Kitchen, a building used to prepare student meals as well as for public events was charred from the ground to the second story. The fire department was called out at 1:34 p.m., after someone at the school reported that a grass fire was spreading to the building.

The Southampton Town fire Marshal's office was called to investigate.

Hayground students were kept in a separate building while firefighters took care of the flames. No injuries were reported.

The Sag Harbor Fire Department also responded, but were sent back by 2:15 p.m. Bridgehampton firefighters returned to their fire house 15 minutes later.