Cops Nab Alleged Wainscott Speedway Robbers

Joseph G. Worysz, left, and Maximillian H. Bonilla, right, were arrested Monday. Riverhead Town police

The two men who police said robbed the Speedway gas station in Wainscott on New Year's Day, with one threatening the clerk with what appeared to be a gun before making off with several hundred dollars, were taken into custody Monday by the Riverhead Town police.

The arrest of Maximillian H. Bonilla, 18, of Mattituck and Joseph G. Worysz, 19, of Southold, was the result of the combined efforts of three departments' detective bureaus, aided by surveillance images taken from the three sites the duo are charged with robbing.

The crime spree began Dec. 28 at Gamestop in Old Country Road in Riverhead. Mr. Bonilla was the only one charged with armed robbery in that incident.

Then, early New Year's Day morning, police said Mr. Bonilla and Mr. Worysz threatened the clerk at the Bolla Market Mobil Gas Station on Middle Country Road in Calverton, brandishing either one or two handguns before making off with cash. That robbery occurred around 5:30 a.m.

Then, at about 11:30 that morning, Mr. Bonilla allegedly held up the Speedway gas station, East Hampton Town Police Capt. Chris Anderson said Tuesday. Though the captain would not confirm the details, it appears Mr. Worysz was driving a getaway car. The captain did say that one of the teens "has ties to the East Hampton area," but would not elaborate.

Detective Sgt. Edward Frost of the Riverhead department said that his bureau worked with East Hampton's detectives, as well as with the Southold detectives, in the lead-up to the arrests.

Mr. Bonilla has been charged with three counts of robbery with what appears to be a gun; Mr. Worysz faces two such charges. The pair were arraigned in Riverhead Tuesday, and have been transferred to county jail, unable to meet either the $80,000 bail Mr. Bonilla is being held on or the $10,000 required for Mr. Worysz's release.

The two men have not yet been charged with the Speedway robbery, although Captain Anderson said he expects that will be done through the district attorney's office. District Attorney Thomas Spota has until Friday to obtain an indictment on the Riverhead charges — in which the East Hampton charges would likely be added — or release the defendants, if they have not posted bail by that time. Both the captain and Detective Frost said that the investigation is ongoing, with more charges possibly in the offing. "We are looking into some of our open cases," Detective Frost said Tuesday.