Expectant Mother Killed

No determination yet on cause of single-car crash

    A single-car accident on the morning of April 13 took the life of a Bridgehampton woman who was eight months pregnant.    
    According to Southampton Town police, Michelle Forbes-Greaves, 31, was pronounced dead at the scene after her 2001 Saturn collided with a tree near the Bridgehampton Head Start on the Bridgehampton–Sag Harbor Turnpike.      Her unborn child did not survive the crash.   
    After an investigation, police said Ms. Forbes-Greaves had been driving southbound when her car swerved into the opposite lane, sideswiping one tree and then crashing headlong into another.
    There have been no determinations yet as to what may have caused the accident, but police impounded the car for safety checks. Police closed the road for three hours while the Bridgehampton Fire Department used heavy-rescue equipment to remove Ms. Forbes-Greaves from the vehicle. She was taken to the Suffolk County Medical Examiners Office in Hauppauge.
    Meanwhile, East Hampton Town police determined that a vehicle rollover in Montauk on Sunday afternoon may have been caused by someone driving over 50 miles per hour on Flamingo Road.   
    One of the men involved in the accident, Fabian Conce, 22, was said to have a head injury after he was ejected from the car. Fire department radio chatter that afternoon indicated that Mr. Conce, who was taken to Stony Brook University Medical Center by a Suffolk County helicopter, had become combative with emergency personnel, which led them to believe he had suffered a head injury.      
    The driver of the car, a sport utility vehicle, was Diego Barahona, 19. Witnesses at the scene said that he had been attempting to pass them on the left on Flamingo Road when he lost control of the S.U.V. and it overturned, landing on its roof.    
    The Montauk Fire Department responded to the scene and closed the road for more than an hour after the accident, which occurred at about 3 p.m. Mr. Conce was taken by Montauk Ambulance to the East Hampton Airport, where he was met by a county helicopter and transferred to Stony Brook Hospital. Mr. Barahona, who was transported some time after the first victim, was taken to Southampton Hospital.     
    Two other passengers, Carlos Guaz­hambo, 22, and Jofre Rodes, 19, refused to be treated at the scene.   
    A three-car accident at the intersection of Cedar Street and Stephen Hand’s Path in East Hampton on April 10 that left two injured was said to have been caused by a driver who did not stop at the intersection. According to reports, a witness to the accident, which occurred at around 6 p.m., said that Michael F. Mikelic of East Hampton did not stop at the stop sign on Stephen Hand’s Path, causing him to collide with a car heading east on Cedar Street.    
    Mr. Mikelic, 36, said he did stop, but had not seen the oncoming car, which was driven by Carmen Magdalena Carpio Mora, 28. The crash caused Ms. Mora’s car to run into another car, which was stopped on the south side of Stephen Hand’s Path.    
    Ms. Mora, of Maryland, and one of her passengers, 8-year-old Steph­anie Pallchisada, were transported to South­ampton Hospital after Ms. Mora complained of neck pain and the girl complained of pain in her pelvis. A 1-year-old passenger in Ms. Mora’s car, and Cladio Cajamarca, who was sitting in the front passenger seat, were uninjured. Mr. Mikelic’s passenger, Olga Mikelic, was also uninjured. The man in the stopped vehicle hit by Ms. Mora, Bolivar Vazquez, was also not hurt.    
    Police did not issue citations to anyone involved in the accident.   
    An East Hampton woman was taken to Southampton Hospital after two vehicles attempted to turn into the Brent’s General Store parking lot on Montauk Highway in Amagansett at 5 p.m. on April 13. Jacqueline Sedlar, 59, told police she was heading east on the highway and making a right turn into the Brent’s lot. At the same time, Jeffrey H. Smith of East Hampton, who was heading west, made a left turn into the lot, causing the cars to collide.    
    Mr. Smith told police another car attempting to turn left onto Abraham’s Path was blocking his line of sight, and that he did not see Ms. Sedlar as she maneuvered around the waiting car.

    Donald Cirillo, who was backing out of the lot during the collision, said his car was hit by Ms. Sedlar’s car.    
     Ms. Sedlar was taken to the hospital after complaining of neck pain.