Generator May Have Caused Fire

Peter J. Solomon Photos

    A shed at 42 Lily Pond Lane in East Hampton Village caught fire shortly after 9 yesterday morning, damaging the back of the house as well. Police believe, but had not confirmed as of press time, that a generator was the cause of the blaze. The entire neighborhood remained without electricity following the storm.
The house is owned by George Segal. A neighbor, who asked not to be named, said that she had just returned from buying ice when she was overwhelmed by the smell of smoke. Upon surveying the scene, she noticed plumes of smoke and flickering flames coming from the Segal property and immediately called the East Hampton Village police, who dispatched fire departments from East Hampton, Springs, and Amagansett .
“I could see the smoke all the way from the station,” said Robert King, lieutenant of the East Hampton Fire Department’s Hose Company Number 3.
As of yesterday at 11 a.m., the fire department had not returned calls about how much damage the fire had caused or how long it took to extinguish. A fire isn’t considered out until everyone has left the scene,  Police Lt. Richard Schneider explained. “We’re still checking for things that could be hidden.”   


<