Fire Claims Life of Sag Harbor Resident

Doug Kuntz

A Sag Harbor man died after a fire in his Hillside Drive East house on Monday afternoon, police said.

Police said that Wesley Carrion, 90, was pulled from the house by Sag Harbor Fire Department volunteers. He was declared dead at Southampton Hospital.

The fire, which Sgt. Paul Fabiano said caused extensive damage to the three-bedroom cottage, was electrical in origin.

A neighbor dialed 911 after seeing smoke coming from the house, telling the Fire Department that there was a resident who might still be inside.

The Suffolk County Arson Squad was called in to investigate, which is done whenever there is a fatality or a serious injury in the course of a fire, Sergeant Fabiano said. He said that county investigators had determined that the origin of the fire was not suspicious.