Driver Charged in Motorcycle Crash on Napeague

Jason Monet outside East Hampton Town Justice Court on Sunday, where he was arraigned on a drunken-driving charge following a Saturday-night accident that sent a Montauk motorcyclist to the hospital with severe injuries. T.E. McMorrow

A Stamford, Conn., man, Jason Monet, was arrested by East Hampton Town police on Saturday night on a drunken-driving charge after an accident on Napeague that sent a motorcycle rider to Stony Brook University Hospital for surgery.

The victim, Sidney Hughes of Montauk, sustained severe leg injuries, a friend said.

Mr. Monet was released on $1,000 bail after arraignment in East Hampton Town Justice Court on Sunday. Mr. Hughes underwent the first of what doctors have warned the family will be several surgeries, according to Justin Portell, the friend who, like Mr. Hughes, is a member of Enders MC, a South Fork motorcycle club..

According to Mr. Portell, Mr. Hughes was eastbound at about 10 p.m., traveling at about 55 miles per hour, when Mr. Monet's westbound B.M.W. moved across the road in front of him. "He never had a chance," Mr. Portell said.

Mr. Monet and a female passenger, whom he identified in court on Sunday morning as his girlfriend, were not hurt in the accident.

After his arrest Mr. Monet was taken to East Hampton Town police headquarters in Wainscott, where he refused to submit to a breath test.

"Something should be done. That is ridiculous," Mr. Portell said on Sunday from the hospital upset that Mr. Monet faces only a single charge of misdemeanor driving while intoxicated. The Suffolk district attorney could seek further charges through a grand jury but there was no indication that there were plans to do so.

Mr. Monet told East Hampton Town Justice Steven Tekulsky at his arraignment that he and his girlfriend were vacationing in the area. He is due back in court on July 24.

A motorcycle believed to be the one that Sidney Hughes was riding when he was struck and injured on SaturdayT.E. McMorrow