East Hampton High School will celebrate this weekend, and it will mark the first homecoming where soccer, not football, will be the headliner.
Also, nine people will be inducted into the school's Hall of Fame on Saturday morning, following a breakfast. The inductees include the former touring tennis professional Paul Annacone, Richard Cooney Jr., Charlie Ecker, James Nicholson, Gary Greene, Nicole Ficeto, Annemarie Cangiolosi-Brown, Erika Vargas, and Ellen Cooper — and two teams, Ed Petrie’s 1989 state-champion boys basketball team led by Kenny Wood, and Jim Nicoletti’s 1991 state semifinalist baseball team, whose record was 25-5.
Among this year’s inductees will be a married couple (Mike Ferrara, of the ’91 baseball team, and Nicole Ficeto, who captained three teams here before starring in Division 1 field hockey at Davidson) and two brothers, Bill (a guard on the ’89 basketball team) and John Barbour (the first baseman on the ’91 baseball team). Rich Cooney Jr. joins his father, a former athletic director here, who was inducted last year, making them the first father and son Hall of Famers, and Robert Gurney (’91 baseball team) joins his sister, Ellamae, as an inductee.
Moreover, it will mark the third time Ed Petrie has made the Hall — as an individual and twice as a coach.
Here's the line-up for Saturday:
• HOMECOMING, Hall of Fame breakfast, 8:30 a.m., followed by induction at 9:15, East Hampton High School.
• FIELD HOCKEY, alumnae game, turf field, 10 a.m.; Harborfields at East Hampton, 2 p.m.
• GIRLS SOCCER, Bayport at East Hampton, 11:30 a.m.
• GIRLS TENNIS, Westhampton Beach at East Hampton, 12:30 p.m.
• BOYS VOLLEYBALL, Connetquot at East Hampton, 1:30 p.m.
• HOMECOMING CARNIVAL, with bounce house and slide, games, face painting, and sale of vintage uniforms, front lawn, East Hampton High School, 3:30 p.m.
• BOYS SOCCER, Hampton Bays at East Hampton, 6 p.m.