Fund-Raising Campaign for Another Man Displaced by Sag Harbor Fire

Michael Lynch Crowdrise/Maura Lynch

The sister of a man who was saved from his burning building in Sag Harbor Friday morning has organized an online fund-raising campaign for her brother.

Michael Lynch had moved into an apartment above Compass realty on Main Street just three days before the fire, according to a post on Crowdrise.com, where his sister, Maura Lynch, began the fund-raising effort on Monday. "He lost EVERYTHING: clothes, computer, his phone, shoes, wallet, and [was] left [in] the freezing cold with only a coat, pants and slippers," she wrote. As of Tuesday morning, $7,535 had been raised.

His roommate, Fred Kumwenda, was not home when the fire broke out. A Crowdrise.com fund-raiser for him, started on Saturday, has already raised over $42,000.

Sag Harbor Village Police Officer Randy Steyert said he banged on the apartment door on the second-story of  84 Main Street until Mr. Lynch, the sole occupant at the time, awoke. The officer had been headed to Sagtown Coffee, north of Mr. Lynch's building, before his shift began when he saw that the back deck of the building was on fire. The officer told The Star on Friday that Mr. Lynch had just enough time to get shoes and a sweatshirt on before they ran out the door and the rest of the building was engulfed in flames. 

Officer Steyert said on Monday that he used an entrance on Main Street that lead to the upstairs apartment. "The doors attached to the deck were covered by flames and smoke," he said.  

Ms. Lynch said her brother was "saved by the bravery" of the officer. After The Star posted a video of Mr. Steyert detailing the rescue on Instagram on Friday, many called him a hero. 

Also on Monday, Sag Harbor Village Mayor Sandra Schroeder asked that any person or business displaced by the fire, or any business that was unable to open because of the fire, contact the village immediately.