Mary E. Crandall, 101

May 13, 1911 - Oct. 9, 2012

    Mary Elizabeth Crandall, who with her husband, Charles, was among the first residents of the Windmill Village apartments on Accabonac Road in East Hampton, died on Oct. 9 at San Simeon by the Sound Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation in Greenport, five months after celebrating her 101st birthday.
    The Crandalls first visited the East End in 1959 and spent summers here until 1972. They moved into Windmill Village in 1988, and, although Mr. Crandall died the following year, Mrs. Crandall lived there until 2005, when she moved to San Simeon by the Sound.
    A homemaker and gardener, Mrs. Crandall also devoted much of her time to volunteer work for such institutions  as Meals on Wheels in East Hampton, Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, and St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, also in Bay Shore, where she taught Sunday School and participated in the altar guild.
    She was born on May 13, 1911, to John McKeon and the former Bertha Miller in the College Point neighborhood of Queens. She grew up in Freeport. After their marriage, on Oct. 2, 1936, the couple moved to Brightwaters.
    Family and friends remember Mrs. Crandall for her perpetual smile and pleasant spirit, her son, Russell Crandall of Springs, wrote. Her most recent joy was meeting her newest great-granddaughter, Kaya Belle Posillico, who was born on St. Patrick’s Day.
    In addition to her son and new great-granddaughter, Mrs. Crandall is survived by a daughter, Mary Lou Herrick of Southold and by six grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
    Mrs. Crandall was buried near her husband at Cedar Lawn Cemetery in East Hampton on Friday. A celebration of her life is to be held in the near future. In her memory, the family has suggested donations to San Simeon by the Sound, 61700 Route 48, Greenport 11944.