John Judge, 61, In Hit and Run

Dec. 22, 1950 - Oct.23, 2012

    John Judge, 61, a longtime resident of Amagansett and friend of many in the community, died on Oct. 23 after being struck by a vehicle that did not stop. A story about the hit and run appeared in last week’s issue; police have the incident under investigation.  
    Mr. Judge was an electrician who worked for several people in the hamlet. He had just left Astro Pizza and was crossing the street when he was struck.
    “John loved from the heart,” Susan Gabriel, a friend and neighbor, said. “He was a true friend to many people, and one of the kindest people I ever met, always helping others. He was part of the fabric of this community.”
    Mr. Judge worked at Decorum Antiques and Accessories, across Main Street from Astro Pizza, for nearly 13 years.  Elaine Monroe, the owner, said, “He could do everything, and he did everything. He was also a lovely guy, very generous. He would give you the shirt off his back. He often worked for free — he did odd jobs and often never charged people. He was just a very good person.”
    Ms. Monroe met Mr. Judge when an addition to Decorum was under construction. “He was working for Stewart Electric,” she recalled. “I asked him to do some things on the side, and he ended up working for me. He transferred all that energy to the store.”
    Mr. Judge was born on Dec. 22, 1950, in the Bronx to Leo J. Judge and the former Evelyn Cochran. Neither survive. His family moved to Central Islip when he was around 8 years old, his sister, Margaret DiLena of Tavares, Fla., said. He graduated from Central Islip High School.
    Mr. Judge lived briefly in Texas after his parents moved there, his sister said. He had also lived in Virginia and Pennsylvania, but spent most of his life in New York State. He was especially fond of the East End.
    “He loved it out there,” Ms. DiLena said. “He loved fishing and boating. That was his love — first, last, and always.”
    Mr. Judge’s humility was evident at a 60th birthday party Ms. Monroe hosted for him in 2010, she said. “He never even thought it was for him. He thought it was a Christmas party until he saw the ‘Happy Birthday’ sign. It was a big bash, and it was wonderful. He got up and actually made a speech, thanking us for being his friends, his family. And he loved Amagansett. There was no other place he wanted to be.”
    In addition to his sister, two brothers, Robert Judge of Roanoke, Va., and William Judge of Landingville, Pa.,  survive, as do several nieces and nephews. Mr. Judge had been married, but his wife, whose name was Valerie, died some 18 years ago, his sister said. They had no children.
    A wake was held on Saturday evening at the Yardley and Pino Funeral Home in East Hampton. “I can’t say enough about the people in Amagansett. They just couldn’t do enough for us. I couldn’t believe how close they were. It’s such a great little town,” Ms. DiLena said.
    Mr. Judge was cremated and his ashes may be dispersed in the ocean. “He loved to be near the ocean,” Ms. DiLena said. “That’s probably where he would like to be.”