John Jones, 48, Stabbing Victim

John Thomas Jones

    John Thomas Jones, who started working at Gosman’s Dock in Montauk while a teenager and remained there for nearly 30 years, died of knife wounds on Jan. 15 in Littleton, Colo., when a nephew mistook him for an intruder.
    Mr. Jones had been the executive chef at Gosman’s Topside restaurant and Inlet Cafe since 2001. Chris Gosman, a member of the family that runs the seafood complex, said Mr. Jones was “an excellent cook and a very capable administrator . . . most of all, he was a wonderful colleague and a friend.”
    “We considered him to be part of our family, and it’s hard to imagine Gosman’s without him,” Mr. Gosman said.
    Over the years, Mr. Jones had many nicknames, but the one that stuck and by which he was known in Montauk was Okie. Diane Gosman Marsella of St. Augustine, Fla., who sent a fond remembrance by e-mail, said he was many things to his Montauk “family,” a chef, prankster, a confidant, a godfather, and most of all, a friend.”
    John Thomas Jones was born on Aug. 26, 1963, in San Diego to Johnny Lee Jones and the former Judy Lodermeier. His early years were spent in California, though he attended high school in Carthage, Mo.
    Mr. Jones worked at Gosman’s during the spring, summer, and fall, returning to Littleton for the winter, where his mother lives. He is also survived by his father, who lives in Paris, Tex., and three brothers, Richard Jones of Madison, Wisc., Craig Jones of Littleton, Jeff Jones of Tulsa.
    Mr. Jones was cremated, and his ashes are to be spread in Montauk, San Diego, and Breckenridge, Colo. His Montauk friends plan to hold a memorial in late spring or early summer.
    According to the Associated Press, Mr. Jones was stabbed by Dylan Jones, 18, when he arrived unannounced at his grandmother’s house in Littleton, where his nephew was staying. Police said that the incident took place about midnight when Mr. Jones entered a spare bedroom where Dylan Jones was sleeping. He died at Littleton Adventist Hospital. There were no criminal charges.