Mary Colhoun, 86

Jan. 11, 1926 - July 29, 2012
Mary Colhoun, 86

    Mary Colhoun, an East Hampton resident from 1955 to 1969 and a commercial pilot who logged over 20,000 hours of flight time, died on Sunday at Middlesex Hospital in Middletown, Conn., surrounded by her family and her partner, William A. Hayden. Ms. Calhoun, who was 86, had renal failure.
    Ms. Colhoun was born on Jan. 11, 1926, in Mansfield, Ohio, to Robert Bushnell and the former Marietta Kegg. For much of her life, she lived in several towns in Connecticut, including Lyme, Fairfield, and Greenwich.
    Ms. Colhoun’s path to flight began in East Hampton with unlikely origins, explained her daughter, Janet Ryder, recently of Rowayton, Conn. Ms. Calhoun was a commercial artist, and Mel Lamb, who operated the East Hampton Airport at the time, had asked her to design the color combination for the airport’s fleet. In lieu of payment, she took flying lessons.
    With her first husband, Dr. Kenneth W. Horne, she owned a Cessna 172 aircraft that was based at the airport. That marriage ended in divorce.
    Ms. Colhoun flew for Montauk Caribbean Airways in the early 1960s, said Ms. Ryder. Her noteworthy passengers included Richard Nixon and Santa Claus, the latter taking an annual flight to East Hampton in a two-seat Aircoupe, which Ms. Colhoun would then taxi up Main Street, to everyone’s delight.
    She painted sets for productions at Guild Hall, and served as a model in Ladies Village Improvement Society fashion shows. Ms. Colhoun was also a dedicated photographer, and enjoyed sailing and golf. “She will be deeply missed by her family and friends,” her family said, “and her adventurous spirit and warm personality will live on in all of our hearts.”
    In addition to Ms. Ryder, and Mr. Hayden, Ms. Calhoun is survived by her son, Jeff Horne of Thornton, Colo., one granddaughter, and three great-grandsons. A marriage to John W. Kiser also ended in divorce. Her third husband, Stephen D. Colhoun, died several years ago.
    A celebration of Ms. Colhoun’s life will be held on Aug. 11 in Lyme, Conn. Those seeking details about the celebration have been asked to e-mail Messages of condolence should be sent to the same address.
Burton K. Lewis, 87
    Burton K. Lewis, who was a fixture on the restaurant scene here for many years for his distinctive yellow glasses and gregarious nature, died on July 6 at home in Queens. He was 87.
    A part-time resident of Devon Road, Amagansett, since 1969, he knew just about everyone there was to know, said his family, and was a patron of all the stores from Montauk to Southampton.
    Mr. Lewis was first introduced to the area by a friend about 10 years before he bought the Amagansett house. For years, the family would spend occasional weekends in Montauk.
    His daughter Marjorie Retzkin of Huntington said that when she and her siblings were young, their father would drive the family to the beach before they arrived at the house, “to make sure he had put enough water in the ocean.” This ritual, of visiting the ocean, continued up to his death, she said.
    Friends, such as those in his circle known as the breakfast club, encountering him on the street might greet him with a smile and ask, “Hey Burton, any new dirty jokes?” she said.
    Ms. Retzkin said her father enjoyed life to the fullest.
    As an ex-president of the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation, which aids research into the neuromuscular disorder, he was instrumental in hosting fund-raisers at Grand Central Station, Radio City Music Hall, and the Intrepid Museum in Manhattan.
    He was born on July 20, 1924, in Middletown, Conn., to Beverly Hattie Lewis, and grew up there before moving to Brooklyn. His careers included work in export packing and shipping and real estate, though he had gone to agricultural school and at one time had harbored a dream of owning a farm. He did spend time gardening, his family said, and raised Saint Bernards, which he took to dog shows, and basset hounds. He also was a master of needlepoint, they said.
    In addition to Ms. Retzkin, Mr. Lewis is survived by a son, Roger Lewis of Roslyn. He also leaves his companion, Vivian Barbosa, as well as three grandchildren.
    His wife, Carol Lewis, and a daughter, Lauren Erlich, died before him.