Nancy Reutershan, a member of East Hampton’s Ladies Village Improvement Society for half a century and a resident since 1948 of the village, died at home on Cedar Court on July 25. She was 84.
With her husband, Robert Gordon Reutershan, a native East Hamptoner who was an insurance and real estate broker who at one time owned the E.T. Dayton agency, she bought, decorated, and sold numerous village residences, including houses on Dayton Lane, Egypt Lane, Ocean Avenue, and Huntting Lane. She continued to buy and refurbish houses after Mr. Reutershan’s death in 1964.
The couple married on July 31, 1948, and had five children. In 1963, as part of Southampton College’s first class, Mrs. Reutershan began studying marine biology, but she left school after her husband’s death.
She was a member of the Guild Hall Players and a Boy Scout leader, and enjoyed reading, gardening, cooking, and swimming in the ocean and the bay. She also worked in retail for many years at Saks Fifth Avenue in Southampton, and as a manager of Latham House in Sag Harbor and at Ici Aussi in Southampton.
For many summers before the death of Mr. Reutershan, for whom the parking lot behind Main Street is named, the family rented their village house and moved to a “camp” at Three Mile Harbor. They spent several summers on Dayton (later Keyes) Island.
Born on Sept. 17, 1927, in New York City, Mrs. Reutershan was a daughter of Richard M. Cronin and the former Mary McPadden. Six siblings died before her.
She grew up on Manhattan’s Upper West Side and attended the Cathedral High School for Girls, graduating in 1945.
Her two sons and three daughters survive. They are Christopher Reutershan of Washington, D.C., Timothy Reutershan of Southampton, Susan Garde of Vero Beach, Fla., Cynthia Marshall of East Hampton, and Katherine Reutershan-Johnson of Bridgehampton. She leaves four grandchildren.
The Rev. Donald Hanson of Most Holy Trinity Catholic Church presided over a graveside service at the church cemetery in East Hampton on Saturday.
The family has suggested memorial contributions to the East Hampton Library, 159 Main Street, East Hampton 11937.