Patrick Masone

    Patrick Masone was a fighter, said Russell Masone, his son. He fought to regain his health so that he could remain in his house, on North Delphi Road in Montauk, with his son.
    “He really fought hard — that’s the only thing my cousin said to me,” Carol Gemon, Mr. Masone’s niece, said.
    Mr. Masone’s decade-long struggle with numerous health problems, including the removal of his esophagus and poor kidney function, ended on May 8 at Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead. He was 85.
    A lifelong musician skilled at both piano and guitar, Mr. Masone never lost his talent or passion for music and continued to play until his final weeks. Before embarking on a career as a teacher, he performed with the Satisfiers, a group that included the popular entertainer Arthur Godfrey. As a member of the U.S.O., his talent took him to Europe, where he entertained troops during World War II.
    The youngest of 13 children, Mr. Masone was born on March 29, 1928, in Queens to Pasquale and Antoinette Masone. He grew up in Queens and attended Brooklyn Technical High School. He earned a degree from the City University of New York, his niece said, and was a member of the American Federation of Musicians and the National Education Association of New York.
    He married Arline Pepe, a dancer — “They were both entertainers,” Ms. Gemon said — on Sept. 20, 1958, and the couple lived in the Bronx, where for 15 years Mr. Masone shared his love of music as a teacher at Walden High School. At least 20 years ago, Ms. Gemon said, they bought a house in Montauk as a summer home, making it their year-round residence after retiring. Ms. Masone died in 2008.
    In addition to his son, who lives in Montauk, and Ms. Gemon, of Hamburg, N.J., Mr. Masone is survived by a sister, Mary A. Masone of Freeport, and many nieces and nephews.
    A service was held on Monday at the Yardley and Pino Funeral Home in East Hampton. Afterward, Mr. Masone was buried at Fort Hill Cemetery in Montauk, where the Rev. Michael Rieder of St. Therese of Lisieux Catholic Church led prayers.