C. Lewis Johnson

    Clair Lewis Johnson, a 20-year resident of Barnes Landing, Springs, who enjoyed boating, fishing, and clamming, died on June 12 in Greenport after a long illness. He was 88.
    Mr. Johnson and his wife, the former Mary E. Martin, his high school sweetheart, whom he married in 1947, designed their own house at Barnes Landing and moved in after they retired. Mr. Johnson was a member of the Barnes Landing Association and served as its president for a time.
    He worked part time at Village Hardware in East Hampton. Friends and neighbors remember Lew, as he was known, as always being eager to help with handyman repairs, his family said.
    He kept a small powerboat docked at Louse Point in Springs for fishing excursions, alone or with friends and family. His children enjoyed visiting in summertime.
    Mr. Johnson was born on Aug. 7, 1924, in Jackson Heights, Queens, to Inez Lewis and Clair V. Johnson. He was raised in Larchmont, N.Y., where he went sailing on Long Island Sound out of the Larchmont Yacht Club. He also sailed out of the Wilson Cove Yacht Club in Rowayton, Conn., on his father’s boat, Truant. Mr. Johnson later named his own boat Truant Too.
    During World War II, Mr. Johnson served as a radio technician in the Navy. He earned a degree in electrical engineering and business from the University of Michigan.
    Mr. Johnson was instrumental in the acquisition and restoration of the submarine U.S.S. Ling while he served on the board of the Submarine Memorial Association, which runs the New Jersey Naval Museum in Hackensack.
    Mr. and Mrs. Johnson raised their children in Hackensack. Mr. Johnson was president of the Hackensack Board of Education from 1964 through 1968. He worked for the Otis Elevator Company, retiring from its international sales division.
    The couple’s final years were spent at Peconic Landing in Greenport. Mrs. Johnson died in 2008.
    Mr. Johnson is survived by three children, Deb Bicher of Encinitas, Calif., Bruce Johnson of Medford, Mass., and Catherine Johnson, also of Medford, and by four grandchildren. A sister, Barbara Rugg of Santa Fe, N.M., also survives. A daughter, Amy Elizabeth, died as a child in 1964.
    A funeral service will be held on July 10 at 2 p.m. at the Orient Congregational Church, at 23045 Route 25 in Orient. Burial will follow in the family plot at George Washington Memorial Park in Paramus, N.J.
    Donations in Mr. Johnson’s memory have been suggested to the Barnes Landing Association, Lew Johnson Memorial, P.O. Box 756, Amagansett 11930, or the Peconic Landing Appreciation Fund, 1500 Brecknock Road, Greenport 11944.