Anna M. Collins

    Anna Miller Collins, a member of the 12th generation of East Hampton’s Miller family, died at home on Fireplace Road in Springs on June 22. She was 90 and had congestive heart failure.

    A member of the Lost Tribe of Accabonac, the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the National Society of Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America, she was interested in genealogy and had traveled to various places to conduct research about her ancestors, among them libraries in England.

    She had traced her roots to those eligible for the Jamestowne Society, a group for descendants of residents of Jamestown, Va., prior to 1700, and to the Mayflower Society, the members of which are descended from the pilgrims who crossed the Atlantic to this country on the Mayflower.

    Members of her family had donated the land on which the Springs Presbyterian Church now stands, and Ms. Collins herself donated a logbook from the whaling bark Josephine to the East Hampton Library.

    She was born to Gilbert E. Miller and the former Carrie Ryder on Aug. 8, 1922, at the family homestead on Fireplace Road.

    After attending East Hampton High School, she attended the Scudder School for Girls in New York City, from which she graduated with a degree in secretarial sciences. She loved to read.

    Her husband, Thomas Collins, died in 2011. The couple had been married approximately 70 years.

    She is survived by her three sons, Michael deMar Collins of East Hampton, Thomas L. Collins II of Houma, La., and Stephen T. Collins of Burr Ridge, Ill. Five grandchildren and three great-grandchildren also survive.

    A funeral was held at the Springs Presbyterian Church on June 25. The Rev. Tony Walton and the Rev. George Wilson presided. Burial followed at Cedar Lawn Cemetery in East Hampton.

    Donations in Ms. Collins’s memory have been suggested to the Springs Presbyterian Church, 5 Old Stone Highway, East Hampton 11937, or to the Springs Ambulance Company, 179 Fort Pond Boulevard, East Hampton.