Paul E. McGuire, 71

March 23, 1942 - Feb 26, 2014
Paul E. McGuire, March 23, 1942 - Feb 26, 2014

       Paul Edwin McGuire, who worked for the East Hampton Town Highway Department for 35 years, died on Feb. 26 at his home on Sherrill Road in East Hampton. The cause was congestive heart failure, his family said. He was 71.

       Mr. McGuire was a skilled carpenter who remodeled several houses during his lifetime and made major upgrades to the parsonage of the East Hampton Methodist Church. He spent months repairing the church itself after a flood about four years ago.

       Born on March 23, 1942, to John Chester McGuire and the former Radmila Stoykovitz, he grew up in a house on Harbor View Drive, East Hampton, attended local schools, and struck out on his own when he was 15.

       He was befriended by many East Hamptoners, his family said, some of whom noticed that he had mechanical ability and taught him to work on automobiles and boats. Before going to work for the Town of East Hampton, he worked for D.L. Talmage, a land-moving and road work company.

       Mr. McGuire met his soon-to-be-wife, Marilyn Walcott, when he brought her brother home one Halloween night. They married on Dec. 22, 1962. They had two children, Allison McAnally Anderson of Arlington Heights, Ill., and Dee McGuire Renos of Wainscott. He is also survived by one grandchild and a sister, Susan D’Angelo, who lives in East Hampton. His parents died before him.

       The McGuires enjoyed East Hampton’s small-town life and each other. Recently, while watching the “Dr. Phil” show on television, they heard the host say that one had to work at maintaining a successful marriage. Ms. McGuire turned to her husband and asked, “Have you worked at our marriage?”

       He replied, “If you have to work at it, you’re not married to the right person.”

       Mr. McGuire loved the outdoors. Hunting and fishing were favorite pastimes, and he enjoyed hanging around with friends, whether at a local deli or the docks. His buddies would drop by his house frequently to shoot arrows at a target or help with one of his building projects. He was a person who worked from dawn to dusk, even after retirement, his family said.

       He owned several boats over the years, including the Ricochet, the Bub Tub, and the Red Rover, which was formerly the Black Bart, a Montauk lobster boat. With his father-in-law, Allan Walcott, and David Jaycox, he restored the Red Rover, relaunching it in 1995.

       Countless hours were spent fishing with friends. Oftentimes, they would head off Montauk, and on several occasions they boated large tuna. Each day was an adventure for him, his family said.

       He was a member of the East Hampton Fire Department and Waterfowl U.S.A. and the Oakdale Sportsmen’s Club, where he won numerous outdoor tournaments.

       His funeral was at the East Hampton Methodist Church on Sunday. The Rev. Tom MacLeod officiated.

       Mr. McGuire had two strokes about three years ago. which limited his independence and ability to pursue the outdoor activities he so enjoyed. With help from family and friends, he was able to regain some strength and confidence, however. Last year, he managed to go fishing once again on the Red Rover with friends.

       Memorial donations have been suggested to the East Hampton Village Ambulance Association, 1 Cedar Street, East Hampton 11937, or to the Evelyn Alexander Wildlife Rescue Center, 228 West Montauk Highway, Hampton Bays 11946.