Mary Ann Miller

Nov. 11, 1940 - Feb. 23, 2014
Mary Ann Miller Nov. 11, 1940 - Feb. 23, 2014

       A personable and caring woman, Mary Ann Miller was like a surrogate mother to many, her son Anthony Miller said. “Everybody in the neighborhood went to my mother. If they wanted to hear the truth, they went to her,” he said.

       After a long illness, Mrs. Miller died of heart failure at home on Morris Park Lane in East Hampton on Feb. 23, her family said. She was 73.

       For 12 years, Mrs. Miller worked for the Southampton Town Police Department as a crossing guard. Later, she joined Southampton Hospital, where she worked in the cafe for 22 years. About 10 years ago, she retired because of illness.

       She was born on Nov. 11, 1940, in Walterboro, S.C., to Mamie L. Dais and Fletcher Williams. She moved to Long Island at the age of 11 and grew up in Southampton. She attended Southampton High School. In 1979, she and her husband bought a house and moved to East Hampton.

       Mrs. Miller is survived by her husband, Theodore Miller Sr., and four children. In addition to Anthony Miller, who lives in Orlando, Fla., they are Theodore Miller, also of Orlando, Lizette Miller of Elizabeth City, N.C., and Derrick Miller of East Hampton. Nine grandchildren and a brother, Melvin Scribner of East Hampton, also survive.

       Following Mrs. Miller’s wishes, no services were held.

Raymond G. Kerwin

       Raymond Gerard Kerwin, a 30-year resident of Montauk, died on March 3 at Samaritan Healthcare and Hospice in Marlton, N.J., following a fall that resulted in five months’ infirmity. He was 76.

       He was born on Jan. 12, 1938, in St. Albans, Queens, to Christopher Kerwin and the former Evelyn Baker. He grew up in Queens with two brothers, Kenneth and Robert, neither of whom survive.

       A lover of baseball and politics and a devout Catholic, Mr. Kerwin, who lived on Beech Street, could often be seen walking the roads of Montauk, no matter the weather. Described by one of his nieces as extremely eccentric, he was drawn to the easternmost hamlet because of its proximity to the ocean.

       Mr. Kerwin, a self-employed and self-taught investor, left the bulk of his estate to the Church of St. Francis of Assisi on 31st Street in Manhattan, where his brother Kenneth, who had become Father Finian Kerwin, was a priest during the 1960s and early ’70s.

        “Their breadline, and the homeless it feeds, will benefit from his great generosity,” Mr. Kerwin’s family wrote.

        Mr. Kerwin, who belonged to St. Therese of Lisieux Catholic Church in Montauk, was buried in St. John’s Cemetery in Queens. He is survived by three nieces, Nancy Kerwin of Lincoln, Vt., Claudia Wagner of Cinnaminson, N.J., and Aileen Kerwin of Edgewater Park, N.J.

        Memorial donations have been suggested to the Montauk Library, P.O. Box 700, Montauk 11954.