Rosakate Levy Dellon Bonomo, a retired New York City educator who had a house in Springs for nearly four decades, died in the city on July 22. She was 85, and had been ill for about a year.
Locally, Mrs. Bonomo was active with the Friends of Guild Hall and the Springs Improvement Society. She and her late husband, Michael J. Bonomo, were among the founders of the LongHouse Reserve’s volunteer program, and Mrs. Bonomo also worked on behalf of the East Hampton Day Care Learning Center, now known as the Eleanor Whitmore Early Childhood Center.
A kindergarten teacher and librarian in Manhattan public schools, she had summered in the Clearwater section of Springs from 1975 until 1985, when she and her husband, who was also a teacher, moved there full time. In 1996, she began to spend winters away, but returned each summer until last year, when her health began to fail.
Mrs. Bonomo was born in New York City on Nov. 21, 1928, to Nathan Levy and the former Celia Flaxman. She grew up in the Bronx, graduating from the Ann Reno Institute and Adelphi College and later earning a master’s degree from Queens College.
An earlier marriage to Stanley Dellon ended in divorce. The couple had two sons. She was married to Mr. Bonomo in 1975. He died in 2000.
She is survived by one son, George Dellon of Phoenix, four grandsons, and a sister, Elva Levy of Springs and New York City. Another son, Andrew Marc Dellon, died before her.
As per Mrs. Bonomo’s wishes, her body was donated to the New York University School of Medicine.