House Lost In 4 a.m. Blaze

Wendy and Charles Butler of Wainscott were alerted by smoke alarms and fled an early-morning fire last Thursday that consumed their Sayre’s Path residence. A gas heater in a back room was said to have started the blaze. Michael Heller

    A fire that began a little before four in the morning destroyed a house at 8 Sayre’s Path in Wainscott last Thursday, despite intense efforts by the Bridgehampton Fire Department to save it. Chief Tim Doran was the first on the scene as the blaze, which was ignited by a gas heater, began to spread.
    The residents, Wendy and Charles Butler, awoke to the sound of smoke alarms and fled the house. Ms. Butler told East Hampton Town police that the blaze had started in a back room, where the heater was located.
    Chief Doran said the fire spread more rapidly because Ms. Butler ran out the back door and her husband out the front, and they both left the doors open, causing a draft that contributed to the blaze.
    The chief deployed three engines, two supply pumpers, and a tanker, with an ambulance standing by. In all, 32 Bridgehampton firefighters were deployed, along with fire police and East Hampton Town police. Wainscott is in the town of East Hampton but is defended against fire by the Bridgehampton Department.
    The East Hampton Fire Department sent an engine and 15 men as backup. “It was going pretty good when we got there,” said Chief Tom Bono. “Sparks and ambers were flying and raining down. Some were landing on the neighboring roofs.”
    As the Bridgehampton team braved the searing heat to get water onto the fire, the East Hampton engine and crew began dousing the nearby structures. In less than an hour, the fire was under control, but the Butler house was burned to the ground. None of the neighboring homes were damaged. There were no injuries reported.
    The Bridgehampton Fire Department is planning to hold a fund-raiser for the Butlers on a date to be determined.