‘I Didn’t Do Anything’

    An upstate man who ran a stop sign in Montauk and then crossed into the oncoming lane was charged on Dec. 9 with driving while intoxicated.
    At around 9 p.m., an East Hampton Town police officer spotted Lawrence R. Emanuel, 46, of Central Valley, N.Y., blowing through the stop sign at West Lake Drive and Montauk Highway and pulled him over. He displayed classic signs  of intoxication, according to the officer — slurred speech, bloodshot eyes, the smell of alcohol — and failed roadside sobriety tests.
    Back at headquarters, he also reportedly failed an Intoxilyzer 5000 chemical breath test. He was held overnight for a morning arraignment, and told the court he’d been out with a friend who was working on the relief effort after Superstorm Sandy. He was concerned that she’d had to much to drink to drive, he said, so he got behind the wheel himself. Bail was set at $350.
    Soon after sunset on Dec. 11, Sag Harbor police arrested Christie L. Hagerman, 46, a Sag Harbor resident, charging her with D.W.I. after reportedly spotting her 2007 Hummer on Main Street with non-operating taillights. She was released the next morning without bail, but with a future date in court.
    A burned-out headlight also led to the arrest of Lior Nahum, 43, of Brooklyn at a little after 2 a.m. on Dec. 6. Town police stopped his Jeep Cherokee on Springs-Fireplace Road and reported a strong smell of marijuana coming from the car and from the driver.
    Mr. Nahum had trouble answering simple questions, according to the arresting officer, so he was asked to step out of the car to perform field sobriety tests, which he allegedly failed. Charged with driving while ability impaired by drugs, he was taken back to headquarters, where he consented to have blood drawn for a chemical test. The results are not released for several days.
    There was some confusion at Justice Court in the morning as to whether Mr. Nahum had ever been arrested on a similar charge. According to documents given to Justice Catherine Cahill, he was arrested in Pennsylvania many years ago.
    “I didn’t do anything,” he told the court.
    Bail was set at $275.
    Another driver pulled over for a traffic infraction faces the same D.W.A.I. marijuana charge. At about 8 p.m. on Dec. 12, an officer was driving north on Old Stone Highway in Springs when the car ahead reportedly swerved across the double yellow lines. The car’s license plate lights were out, the officer noted in the report, which is a moving violation. The officer stopped the car at Springs-Fireplace Road and Fort Pond Boulevard.
    The driver, Antonio A. Cabrera, 26, of East Hampton, smelled of marijuana and had trouble focusing during questioning, according to the officer, who said he also failed field sobriety tests before being charged. When the officer searched Mr. Cabrera after making the arrest, he reported finding a multicolored glass pipe with what appeared to be burned marijuana in the bowl.
    Mr. Cabrera refused to take the blood test at the station house, resulting in the immediate suspension of his driving privileges. Bail was set last Thursday morning at $500.
    Segundo M. Buestan Albarracin, 50, of Southampton was reportedly driving erratically when he was pulled over on Woods Lane in East Hampton on Saturday, a little before 4 a.m. He told village police he’d only had one beer, but failed roadside sobriety tests and a field breath test as well, they said. Back at the station house his blood-alcohol content was recorded as .14, not quite twice the legal limit.
    Mr. Albarracin, charged with drunken driving, was released in the morning on $350 bail.
    Village police made a second alcohol-related arrest on Friday at about 4 a.m., when Pedro Cubule Pirir, 33, of Springs, driving a 1999 Toyota, was stopped on Main Street after being spotted swerving across the yellow lines. He allegedly failed roadside sobriety tests before being taken to headquarters.
    He was charged with D.W.A.I, indicating that he was intoxicated but that his blood-alcohol content was below .08, the legal limit. He was also charged with driving without a license before being released on station-house bail of $200. His car was impounded.