Curb Hopped, Pole Punished

Police News

    When East Hampton Village police received a phone call Saturday night at about 10:30 reporting an apparent drunken driver in a brown 2005 Acura, the officer dispatched did not have to look far.
    At the point where Montauk Highway and North Main Street merge to form Main Street is a light pole that, that night, was the final stop for the Acura, driven by Keith D. Finer, 24, of Hampton Bays, police said. Mr. Finer allegedly told the officer he had fallen asleep at the wheel, with the car jumping the curb and smashing into the pole.
    The officer assisted Mr. Finer in getting out of the car and noticed that his eyes were bloodshot and his speech was slurred, according to the police report. Mr. Finer then allegedly pulled three small plastic bags from his right pocket, trying to hide them from the officer, who asked him what was in them. Mr. Finer told the officer it was oxycodone pills and cocaine, police said. The officer confiscated the bags.
    Mr. Finer subsequently failed roadside sobriety tests and was arrested, police said. At headquarters, in searching his possessions, police reportedly found a gram scale, unused small plastic bags, and a glass pipe.
    Mr. Finer was charged with felony possession of controlled substances with intent to sell, felony possession of cocaine, a misdemeanor charge of possession of drugs, two misdemeanor charges of possession of drug paraphernalia, and driving while impaired by drugs. Bail information was not available.

Jeep Across the Green
    A speeding 2009 Jeep drove across the grass by Town Pond on Main Street in East Hampton, leading to a driving while intoxicated arrest Sunday at 3:30 a.m., village police said. The car, driven by Michael T. Uhrin, who is 40 and lives in East Northport, was reported by police to be going 57 miles per hour as it approached the sharp turn heading east. Mr. Uhrin missed the turn, driving across the green, finally making the left in front of the Hedges Inn onto James Lane and coming to a stop, the report said.
    In speaking to Mr. Uhrin, an officer allegedly noticed the smell of alcohol on him and that his speech was slurred and his eyes were bloodshot. The officer asked Mr. Uhrin to step out of the car, which he did unsteadily, according to the report. Mr. Uhrin failed roadside tests and a breath test. He was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated, speeding, driving on the shoulder, and failing to stay in the designated lane.
    A 17-year-old East Hampton resident was driving a 2006 Toyota with two other teenagers in the car a little after midnight on March 24 when he turned out of Austin Road onto Three Mile Harbor Road into oncoming traffic, causing a collision with a car driven by Christine M. Moran of East Hampton, town police said.
    When an officer arrived to investigate, he found both cars on the side of the road. When the officer questioned the teenage driver, he reportedly noticed that he was unsteady on his feet, his eyes were bloodshot, his speech was slurred, and there was a smell of alcohol on his breath. The officer also saw marijuana in the car and on the ground, police said.
    The 17-year-old allegedly failed a field sobriety test and a breath test. Because one of the passengers in the car was 15 years old, the driver was charged with violating Leandra’s Law. The law makes it an automatic felony to drive while intoxicated with a minor 15 or younger in the car. The driver was also charged with endangering the welfare of a minor, possession of marijuana, driving an unregistered vehicle, and driving an uninsured vehicle. He was released later that day on $5,000 bail.
    Ms. Moran complained of pain in her lower body but was not taken to the hospital.
    Sag Harbor police reported that a Chevy on Long Wharf backed into a wooden guardrail designed to prevent cars from going into the harbor and then moved forward a couple of parking spots to park at 1 a.m. on Saturday.
    When an officer went over to investigate, he found that the driver, Joseph L. Marciniak, 28, of East Hampton, had the smell of alcohol on his breath, slurred speech, and glassy eyes, according to police. Stepping out of his car, Mr. Marciniak was unsteady on his feet, police said. He allegedly failed a breath test.
    Arrested and taken to police headquarters on Division Street, he was charged with aggravated D.W.I., which is a misdemeanor charged when a driver’s blood alcohol level is .18 percent or higher. He was also given a parking ticket.
    An officer on patrol watched as a 1991 Mitsubishi swerved back and forth across the yellow lines before veering onto the shoulder on Stephen Hand’s Path near Cedar Street in East Hampton on March 24 at about 8:30 p.m., town police said. Patrick M. Rice, a 55-year-old East Hampton resident, was subsequently arrested and taken to headquarters in Wainscott, where he repeatedly refused to take a second breath test after having failed a previous one, according to police.
    Charged with D.W.I., he was released the next morning with an appearance ticket.

“Two Beers”
    A 2010 Mini Cooper motoring at 50 miles per hour in a 30-mile-per-hour zone on Main Street in Amagansett at 3:30 a.m. on March 25 led to a traffic stop and an arrest, town police said. After the car, driven by Andrew M. Gualtieri, 21, of East Hampton, was stopped, the officer smelled alcohol on Mr. Gualtieri and saw that his eyes were bloodshot and bleary, police said.
    After Mr. Gualtieri allegedly failed sobriety tests, the officer asked him if he had been drinking, and he replied, “I had two beers with dinner,” according to the police report.
    Mr. Gualtieri was arrested and taken to headquarters, where he took a breath test and registered a blood alcohol level of .10 percent, above the legal limit of .08. He was charged with driving while intoxicated and released on his own recognizance later that day.
    At 4:20 a.m. on Sunday, an officer driving north on Three Mile Harbor Road saw a 2003 Ford Taurus being driven in the opposite direction on the shoulder of the road, police said. The officer reported doing a U-turn, following the Ford as it turned into a driveway. After allegedly noticing a smell of alcohol and slurred speech on Ivan F. Yupa-Suestan, 28, of Springs, the officer ran his license and found that it had been suspended three times for failing to answer a summons in Suffolk County.
    The officer asked Mr. Yupa-Suestan to step out of the car, which he attempted to do, in vain, police said, finding himself unable to stand without holding onto the car. The report continues that the officer had Mr. Yupa-Suestan perform roadside sobriety tests, on which Mr. Yupa-Suestan “performed poorly.”
    Arrested and taken to headquarters, he allegedly failed a breath test that showed a blood alcohol level of .25 percent, more than three times the legal limit. He was charged with aggravated D.W.I. Bail was set at $500.