On the Police Logs 07.19.12


Charles Boothe, a driver for East End Taxis, reported to police that he had picked up three young women a little after 2 a.m. on July 9 at Rushmeyer’s in Montauk, intending to take them to an address they gave on Springs-Fireplace Road in East Hampton. They agreed to a fare of $75, he said. After asking him to stop in Amagansett so they could get pizza, however, they could not agree on a price for waiting time.

According to the report, the women exited the taxi without paying anything, but an officer sent to the address subsequently found them there, and they paid up.

East Hampton Village

Police received a call reporting a car parked in the Schenck lot on July 11 with a dog locked inside. Police located the car but found it unoccupied.

An apparently homeless woman was told to leave the area of the Sea Spray Cottages near Main Beach early last Thursday after an officer noticed her there.

Police also found a man they concluded was homeless sleeping on a bench at the Nature Trail near David’s Lane last week. An officer and a sergeant awakened him and took him to the train station so that he could take a train to Riverhead, where he said an aunt lived.

Police received a complaint last Thursday afternoon that a chimney cleaning service was working at a house where an elderly man with dementia lived. The caller, an associate of the person suffering from dementia, told police he had repeatedly told the company not to come. The work was not needed, he said, since the elderly man did not use the chimney. Police contacted the company and it agreed to stay away.

Larraine Creegan of Montauk reported to police last Thursday that while driving the previous night on Flamingo Avenue, headed north, near the water tower, a young man she did not know standing at the side of the road holding a skateboard swung it at the car, damaging it. Ms. Creegan was frightened and drove away. Damage was estimated at $500.

Kia Warren, a bartender at the Surf Lodge, reported to police that her iPhone was stolen from the end of the bar, where she had left it, on the night of May 30. She noted that the restaurant has a surveillance camera. Police made several calls over the next few weeks to follow up, but came to the conclusion that she did not wish to pursue the matter when she did not respond.

Peter Grimes told police that on the afternoon of July 9 somebody smashed out a mirror on a Caterpillar tractor he had parked on Captain Kidd’s Path.


At some point between June 22 and June 26, an unregistered blue and white Yamaha dirt bike went missing from the yard of Diego Montoya’s Hollyoak Avenue house.

Martha Quishbe of Cedar Ridge Drive reported to police that a purse she had left in an unlocked car in her driveway had been stolen at some point during the night of July 9. It contained credit cards, a global positioning system device, and a passport belonging to a friend.

Susan Sinnenberg of Georgica Creek Antiques  reported to police on the afternoon of July 7 that someone had stolen the American flag from in front of the shop. The flag was valued at $100.