Also on the Logs 08.16.12

David Winthrop, who works at Brent’s on Montauk Highway, called police on July 28 after catching a man stealing a pickle from the store. He told police he did not want to press charges, but did want the man told he was banned from Brent’s.
Basil Reinboth-Lynch of East Hampton told police on Aug. 1 that at some point that day someone had stolen his wallet from his Dodge pickup truck, which was parked in the Atlantic Avenue Beach parking lot.
East Hampton
Timothy Greene of East Hampton left his children’s Power Wheels Jeep, valued at $400, on Jonathan Drive at 6:30 last Thursday evening. When he returned an hour later, it was gone.

East Hampton Village
A couple carrying a baby reported to police that they were followed into a Race Lane parking lot on Aug. 8 by someone screaming at them, “How dare you carry your baby like that, you should be ashamed of yourself! I’m calling The Star. I’m calling the police.” The couple wrote down the woman’s license plate number, and police told her to stay away from the couple.
Police received a call about a man drinking a beer in Herrick Park on the afternoon of Aug. 7. Police found the man and believed him to be intoxicated. He took a taxi home.
Patricia Rubio said that on Aug. 8 someone removed a wallet she had left in a locker at the Y.M.C.A. East Hampton RECenter on Gingerbread Lane. The wallet contained $200 in cash.
Police were called early Thursday morning about a deer that was in pain. They found the animal, which had two fractured legs, and put it down.
Robert Greenberg walked into village police headquarters on Friday to report that someone had stolen his beach pass from his car.

Daniel Pike of New York City was staying with friends at a Monroe ­Drive house on Aug. 4 when he and his friends went out for the night. Mr. Pike parked his 2003 Toyota in the driveway. They returned at 4:30 a.m. the next day and did not notice anything wrong. After going inside and sleeping for a couple of hours, Mr. Pike went out onto the deck, only to find it littered with smashed tomatoes. Stepping out into the yard, he found that his car had also been littered with smashed tomatoes, as well as lettuce and melted butter. He called police and cleaned off his car.
Nick Cockinos of Mulford Avenue alerted police a little after 1 a.m. on Aug. 1 that a group of teenagers were on his lawn, throwing beer bottles at his house in the dark. An officer sent to the scene saw several youths run off in different directions. With the assistance of a second officer, several teenagers were stopped and questioned. Because it was nighttime, none of them could be identified as the bottle throwers. Mr. Cockinos told police he did not wish to press charges, but police warned the youths not to return to the property.
On Saturday, police responded to a call from Jose Munoz, the head of maintenance at the Surf Club, who said that garbage pails had been spray-painted and three outdoor lamps had been destroyed the previous night.
Elizabeth Kelly of New York City told police last Thursday that someone had stolen her nonresident’s parking pass from inside her 1993 Volvo 240 while it was parked in a lot off Ditch Plain Road at about 1 p.m. that day.
Lynden Restrepo of East Lake Drive said that on Aug. 8 someone stole a black BMX-style bicycle, valued at $100, from her front porch.
Nil Erbil, the Surf Lodge’s general manager, walked into the Montauk police station on Sunday and said that at some point during the previous day two Linus bicycles, each valued at $800, had been stolen.
Julieanne Purcell of Southampton told police on Sunday that someone had scratched her Land Rover, which was parked in a lot at Ditch Plain Beach. The damage was to a passenger-side door.

Sag Harbor
The manager of Baron’s Cove Inn called police on Sunday and reported that a man had asked for a room key to see what a room looked like. Half an hour later he went to the front desk and said, “I’m leaving and there’s nothing you can do about it.” Upon checking the room, it was discovered that he had showered and used the toilet, bed, phone, and WiFi.
William Mintz of the Sag Harbor Cycle Company went to village police headquarters to report that a former employee had not returned a bicycle valued at $14,000. The employee had been lent the bike as part of his employment at the shop, but left the company on July 27 and had yet to return it.

A woman who lives on Gerard Drive called police on July 1 to report that a neighbor had gotten into the crawl space beneath her house and plugged in an extension cord, stringing the cord back to his house. She told police it was the second time he had done this. Police followed the cord and found that it did lead to the neighbor’s house. Police have been trying to contact the man, to no avail.