Two Arrested in Hit-and-Run Incidents

    After a busy summer season featuring a Suffolk County crackdown on drunken driving, resulting in over 20 Labor Day weekend arrests for driving while intoxicated, D.W.I. traffic in East Hampton Town Court was relatively light.
    In East Hampton Village, police made two such arrests, one which resulted in two felony charges for a repeat offender. Victoria N. Canonico, 30, of Manhattan, was driving a 2001 Chevrolet a little after midnight last Thursday on the shoulder of Montauk Highway near Green Hollow Road, causing an officer to pull her over. Because she has a previous D.W.I. conviction over the past 10 years, the charge was elevated to a felony.
    She consented to a breath test at the station house, which gave a reading over the legal limit. The village police do not release the reading obtained from an Intoxilyzer 5000 report, which is admissible in court.
    Besides the felony D.W.I. charges, Ms. Canonico also faces a charge of driving without the alcohol-detection interlocking device required of convicted drunken drivers, which prevents  an intoxicated person from starting the car.
    Justice Lisa Rana set bail the next morning at $5,000, which was posted.
    Village Police Chief Gerard Larsen went out in response to a call reporting a hit-and-run accident a little after noon last Thursday, on Main Street at the Dayton Lane corner. Near the Route 114 intersection, the chief, along with Sgt. Richard Mamay, pulled over a 2011 Nissan being driven by Jennifer N. Loeper, 26, of Smithtown, who had allegedly sideswiped a parked car on Main Street.
    Both men reportedly saw Ms. Loeper put two prescription pill jars in a side compartment on the driver’s door. She was eventually charged with driving while ability impaired by drugs.

Another Hit-and-Run
    A little before 9 a.m. on Sept. 2, East Hampton Town police received a report of a hit-and-run on Farrington Road in Montauk, where a Ford S.U.V. reportedly hit a parked blue Jeep. The caller told police the Ford was now on Freemont Road, parked in a driveway, with a damaged driver’s-side front end.