Wrecked Honda, Broken Pole

    Police responding to a report of an accident early Saturday on Queens Lane near Accabonac Road in East Hampton found the wreckage of a 1998 Honda that had gone off the road and smashed into a utility pole with enough force to split the pole in half.
    As East Hampton Town police arrived not long after 5 a.m., the driver and passenger allegedly fled. They were soon tracked down. The driver, Jose R. Inga, who is 42 and lives in East Hampton, had injured his back, and he was bleeding, the report said. Police believed that Mr. Inga was intoxicated and arrested him, later releasing him so he could be taken to Southampton Hospital, where he consented to a blood test to determine his blood alcohol content.
    Mr. Inga had been convicted of D.W.I. in 2009, leading to a more serious charge of driving while intoxicated with a prior conviction in the past 10 years, which can be prosecuted as a felony. He was due in court yesterday. Mr. Inga’s passenger refused medical attention.
    Also on the roads, William A. Verdugo, 35, of Woodside, Queens, was arrested on Sept. 9 at about 1 a.m. on a D.W.I. charge. According to the police report, Mr. Verdugo had been driving north on Three Mile Harbor Road near Gardner’s Lane in Springs, swerving across the road markings. He failed roadside sobriety tests, police said. At the station house, he reportedly refused to take a breath test, resulting in the automatic suspension of his driving privileges.
    East Hampton Town Justice Catherine A. Cahill set bail later that day at $750.

Backward on Main
    In Sag Harbor, Russell J. Simmons, who is 20 and lives in that village, was driving a gold 1997 Ford Explorer south on Main Street a little before 2 a.m. on Friday when he turned onto Washington Street, where he stopped, putting the vehicle into reverse, and backed back onto Main Street, police said. He allegedly continued to drive in reverse until he stopped in front of Page at 63 Main, at which point he got out and went inside the restaurant despite an officer’s telling him not to.
    Finding him to be drunk, the officer escorted him outside, police said. He allegedly failed sobriety tests as well as a breath test administered at headquarters on Division Street. Mr. Simmons was charged with misdemeanor aggravated D.W.I., indicating that his blood alcohol level was allegedly .18 or higher. Because of his local roots, he was released without bail later that day.