Swervers, Speeders, and Sleepers on the Town’s Roads

    An East Hampton Town police officer stopped Rosa C. Fikir, 37, of Springs a little before 3 a.m. on Friday near Three Mile Harbor Road after she allegedly swerved across lane lines and continued to drive erratically as she turned into Tub Oarsman Road. She came to a complete stop in the middle of the road, according to the report, and reversed before stopping again and finally turning into a driveway.
    The officer said she had trouble producing identification, and was unsteady on her feet when asked to step out of the car. She reportedly failed standard roadside sobriety tests. Back at headquarters she consented to an Intoxilyzer 5000 breath test, which produced a reading high enough to result in an aggravated charge of driving while intoxicated. A blood-alcohol reading of .18 or higher automatically triggers the aggravated charge.
    She was released without bail later that morning, with a future date in court.
    Last Thursday at about 10 p.m., police chased a 2001 Ford going east at a reported 95 miles an hour along the Napeague stretch before pulling it over. The driver, Juan C. Perez Alpires, 37, of Montauk was charged with D.W.I. and spent the remainder of the night in a cell. Justice Catherine Cahill set bail the next morning at $250.
    Yohana Guarin, 30, of East Hampton was arrested early Sunday morning on Route 27 near Lincoln Road in Montauk. Her car was pulled over onto the shoulder when an officer came upon it, with the engine reportedly running and the driver asleep at the wheel.
    “I see this is your first brush with the law,” East Hampton Town Justice Lisa R. Rana said in court during Ms. Guarin’s arraignment, before releasing her without bail, but with a future court date.
    Speaking to a reporter after her court appearance, Ms. Guarin strongly denied the police allegation. “I only had two glasses of wine,” she said.
    A similar arrest occurred on Sept. 16 at about 4:30 in the morning, when an officer came upon a 2001 Hyundai on the shoulder of Montauk Highway near Abraham’s Path in Amagansett, its engine running, brake lights on. Christopher D. Hollobaugh, 21, of East Hampton was allegedly asleep at the wheel, the car in drive, his foot resting on the brake pedal. Back at the station, his blood-alcohol reading was recorded at .14, according to the report.
    Bail was set the next morning at $250.
    A Labor Day weekend alcohol-related arrest not previously reported was that of Michael T. Reale, 36, of East Hampton, who consented to a breath test after being arrested, resulting in a reported reading of .21. According to the police, a marine patrol officer spotted Mr. Reale driving a Toyota Tundra on the beach at 3:30 a.m. by the Royal Atlantic Motel in Montauk. Mr. Reale tried to leave the beach at the South Emery Street exit, but his tires sunk into the soft sand on an incline up the dune, and the Tundra almost got stuck. He reportedly put it in reverse, rolling it back onto the beach, where he parked and walked “unsteadily” back up the incline.
    He was charged with operating a vehicle on the beach while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Bail was set at $400.
    Finally, early Sunday morning, Roberto Cubule-Suruy was pulled over for reportedly driving on the shoulder and swerving across lane lines early Sunday morning. His Breathalyzer read .19.
    Mr. Cubule-Suruy told Justice Rana, speaking through the court interpreter Tania Valverde, that he was originally from Guatamala and had lived on the East End for two years. The justice set his bail at $1,000. “You may be detained for immigration purposes,” she told him.
    A friend of his was in the court, ready to post the cash for bail. “I only set bail,” Justice Rana explained, adding that if immigration contacted the East Hampton Town Police Department he would be turned over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents. That did happen, and he is now in the custody of immigration authorities.