Skipped Court, Landed in Jail

    An apparent planned trip out of town turned into a trip to Suffolk County jail for an East Hampton man, who had bail set at $25,000 by a clearly displeased East Hampton Justice Lisa R. Rana last Thursday.

    Diego P. Ordonez-Contreras, 29, was due in East Hampton court the day before, Sept. 25, to face a charge of a violation of probation stemming from a previous conviction.

    “Your attorney was here. Officer Yoder was here. But, guess who wasn’t here? You,” Justice Rana said the next day, as she arraigned Mr. Ordonez-Contreras. She had issued a bench warrant for his arrest when he failed to appear for a scheduled 1 p.m. hearing the previous day.

    “You were found at a bus stop, leaving town,” the justice said.

    Dan Cronin, an assistant district attorney, told the court that Mr. Ordonez-Contreras was facing two felony driving while intoxicated charges.

    “Bail is going to be set in the amount of $25,000,” Justice Rana said. “If you are unable to post bail in the next hour, the Sheriff’s Department is coming here and you will be taken to Riverhead, where you can post bail.”

    The Suffolk County sheriffs transport prisoners to and from East Hampton Court every Thursday, which is the day the criminal cases are heard.

    An hour later, Mr. Ordonez-Contreras was taken to the county jail in Riverside, where he remains, pending his next appearance in court next Thursday, unless he posts bail before then.

    Two 911 calls taking police to a Hollyoak Avenue, Springs, house resulted in two arrests in the course of one week for Kody J. Knudsen, 24. The first, according to police, came after Mr. Knudsen, whom the police said was highly intoxicated, punched another man several times in the face around midnight, Sept. 21.

    Police arrested Mr. Knudsen on a charge of harassment, a violation. Justice Lisa Rana set bail for Mr. Knudsen the next morning at $500.

    Things became more serious, legally, for Mr. Knudsen, when he was arrested on a felony criminal mischief charge last Saturday morning. While police have not yet released an arrest report of the incident, Mr. Knudsen was picked up at the same Hollyoak residence as the first arrest.

    “This is felony criminal mischief,” East Hampton Justice Catherine A. Cahill said during Mr. Knudsen’s arraignment the next morning. The justice issued a court order of protection for Mr. Knudsen’s mother.

    Criminal mischief reaches the felony level when a defendant intentionally destroys property valued at over $250.

    The justice noted that Mr. Knudsen is already on Justice Rana’s schedule. She asked the defendant if somebody would come to post bail for him.

    “I can get $200 or $300,” he said. The justice set bail at $250.

    Mr. Knudsen asked for a lower bail amount. “You’ve had so many chances. I’m not going to R.O.R. you again,” she answered, using the legal shorthand for released on own recognizance, meaning without bail. “I don’t want to see you between now and Oct. 3,” the justice said. “You’ve run out of chances.”

    According to police, a Montauk woman turned a bad situation worse around midnight Friday. Kathleen Hewitt, 47, was at 668 the Gig Shack in that hamlet when she was asked by the management to leave. According to the police, who said she was highly intoxicated, she refused first the manager of the restaurant’s request then that of two officers.

    Finally, three officers tried to physically escort her outside, the police said, and the woman began flailing her arms and kicking the police, refusing to be handcuffed, they said.

    While the first charge leveled against her, harassment, for her alleged behavior in the Gig Shack is a simple violation, the second charge, resisting arrest, is a misdemeanor. Bail was set at $750, which her father, who was at court for her arraignment, posted.