Felony D.W.I. Arrest Follows Crash

    An Amagansett man who drove his 2010 Ford into a utility pole on Friday night was drunk at the time, according to East Hampton Town police, and wound up charged with an alcohol-related felony, aggravated driving while intoxicated.
    The crash happened less than a mile from Kevin J. Somers’s house on Abram’s Landing Road. A witness, who said the crash happened right outside his house, told police that Mr. Somers, 37, had climbed out of his wrecked car and asked to use his bathroom.
    An officer went into the house and spoke with Mr. Somers before asking him to perform sobriety tests, which he reportedly failed. He was driven to the stationhouse, where a blood-alcohol test resulted in a reading of .25 of 1 percent, more than three times the legal limit and well over the .18 threshold to raise a simple D.W.I. charge to an aggravated level.
    According to state records, Mr. Somers was convicted of drunken driving in 2004, making the current charge a felony. In East Hampton Justice Court the next morning, Justice Catherine Cahill told Mr. Somers that the office of the Suffolk County District Attorney had asked bail to be set at $25,000. But Mary Jane Asato of Bourke, Flanagan and Asato, standing by Mr. Somers as his attorney for the arraignment, argued that he had long-time roots in the community and was not a flight risk. After a prolonged conference between the lawyer and the bench, Justice Cahill set bail at $2,000, cautioning the defendant that the D.A.’s office was likely to seek an indictment.
    As for Mr. Somers’s car, under county law the police would normally have seized it following a D.W.I. arrest involving a prior drunken-driving conviction, but in this case, because of extensive damage to the Ford, it was not seized.
    East Hampton Village police stopped a 2014 Ford Mustang on Main Street near David’s Lane at 4 a.m. on Sunday after allegedly seeing it weaving, and ended up arresting a Long Beach man on a charge of D.W.I. Jon Krug, 35, reportedly failed roadside field tests before being brought to Cedar Street headquarters, where his blood-alcohol content was recorded at .14.
    Bail was set later that morning at $350 for Mr. Kruger, who told police he works as a trader.
    There were three more drunken-driving arrests from Sunday afternoon into Monday morning. Benjamin M. Cramer, 24, in a vintage 1964 Ford Falcon, was pulled over after midnight Sunday at the Plaza after allegedly making a left turn, and spent the remainder of the night at headquarters after reportedly failing sobriety tests.
    Though his license and license plates are from Pennsylvania, he told Justice Cahill during arraignments in a packed court on Monday (which is small claims court day, an always busy day) that he was managing a restaurant in Montauk and living there as well. The justice set bail at $350.
    Stephanie Acevedo, 23, of Montauk was arrested early Sunday afternoon. Her breath test was reported in court the next morning as .10, and her bail was also set at $350, which was posted, ending her long — almost 24 hours, the legal limit one can be held without being arraigned — stay in custody.
    A woman who told Justice Cahill that she was a waitress at a popular Montauk nightspot had her bail set at $300. Maria R. Marin, 36, faces an aggravated drunken-driving charge, due to a reported Intoxilyzer reading of .18.
    “Are they up and running?” the justice asked Ms. Marin, regarding her employer.
    “Yes, they are,” Ms. Marin answered.
    “Summer is starting early,” said the justice, as she set bail at $300.
    More details about the case of the Porsche that was pulled out of Napeague Harbor three weeks ago emerged in court last Thursday during the arraignment of its driver, who had been charged with D.W.I. after allegedly driving the car off a boat ramp on purpose.
    The charge against Joann Hamilton, 57, of Amagansett was later raised to the aggravated level, according to Justice Cahill, who was reading from the blood tests taken at Southampton Hospital after midnight on April 21. According to her attorney, Gordon Ryan, Ms. Hamilton suffered from hypothermia after being submerged in the icy water.
    Ms. Hamilton was not in court; Mr. Ryan explained that she was in another hospital being treated for an undisclosed condition.
    The current off Lazy Point on the night of the incident was extreme, and after the car hit the water, it floated a few hundred yards from the ramp toward the open harbor. The cold water “snapped her out of it,” Mr. Ryan was overheard saying during a conference with the justice at the bench. Ms. Hamilton somehow freed herself from the sinking car and began screaming for help. She was pulled out from the water by two people who were nearby that night and heard her screams, John Glennon and Katie Osiecki.
    Ms. Hamilton’s blood was drawn, with her consent, almost two hours after the incident, according to the report, and was reported to be at least .18, the level considered aggravated intoxication.
    Police could not locate the sunken car that night. Ultimately, it took a county police helicopter and the East Hampton Town Police diving team to locate and pull out the waterlogged vehicle.

A previous version of this story incorrectly said that someone convicted of drunken driving would be unable to operate a golf cart.