An Occurrence at Sea

    There were two incidents in local waters leading to arrests over the past week.

    The Halfback, a 1985 Viking vessel, was fishing for striped bass on a six-person charter cruise, about two miles east of the Montauk Lighthouse at the Pollack Rips, when it was approached from the port side by the Luna Sea, according to an East Hampton Town police report. The captain of the Halfback tried to radio the Luna Sea captain to warn of a potential collision but was unable to raise him.

    At that point, police said, the Luna Sea turned to the starboard side of the Halfback and sped past it, damaging its trolling lines. The Halfback’s captain, who was not identified in the report, pulled next to the Luna Sea to try to untangle the lines, at which time, police were told, “a man in a white shirt” aboard the Luna Sea threw a six-ounce lead sinker at the Halfback, smashing a port-side window and causing about $2,500 in damage.

    The captain of the Halfback called Marine Patrol and the two captains agreed to return to the Star Island Yacht Club to work things out. Once there, Robert C. Hallock III of Sag Harbor apologized to the skipper of the Halfback for throwing the sinker, police said, and left to go back to his fishing trip on the Luna Sea.

    The captain of the Halfback was not sure at first about pressing charges, but told police soon after that he wanted Mr. Hallock charged. Police made the arrest on July 17, charging Mr. Hallock with a felony, third-degree criminal mischief, and reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor. He was released without bail from the station house and will be arraigned on Aug. 1.

    A Higganum, Conn., man, Timothy L. Brewer, three days shy of his 54th birthday, had taken his 2013 Zodiac Cadet 250 C to Three Mile Harbor Saturday night, with a friend onboard, to watch the Great Bonac Fireworks show, he said during his arraignment Sunday morning on a charge of boating while intoxicated.

    When East Hampton Town Justice Catherine Cahill told him he was also facing reckless boating charges, he seemed perplexed. “I don’t have a stern light on the dinghy,” he concluded.

    Marine Patrol, believing Mr. Brewer to have had one too many, had taken him to their Gann Road headquarters, where he reportedly failed sobriety tests. His blood-alcohol level was measured at .083, just over the legal limit.

    Setting bail was difficult, said Justice Cahill, since his friend, who had money, was still on the boat. Mr. Brewer told the court he had $100. “I’ll make it $100,” she said.