A Woman Saw It Happen

      A woman driving east by Town Pond Friday evening watched in disbelief as the car ahead smashed through a No Right Turn sign on the traffic island in front of Guild Hall, knocking down a Do Not Enter sign in the process. She followed the driver, a 20-year-old Southampton man, and called police, who stopped him at 5:43 p.m. on South Ocean Boulevard near Accabonac Road in East Hampton.

       Milton V. Pangol was charged with driving while intoxicated, driving without a license, leaving the scene of an accident, and physical harassment. The last charge was lodged 45 minutes after his arrest, following an incident at the stationhouse.

       The town police officer who pulled Mr. Pangol over reported that his 1996 Honda had a flat tire and a shattered rear window. Asked if he had been drinking, he reportedly replied, “I had one beer.” He failed roadside sobriety tests, police said.

       When they removed his handcuffs back at headquarters, police said, the man  took a swing at the arresting officer, striking him in the jaw, which led to the harassment charge. He then reportedly refused to take the stationhouse breath test. According to police, upon being asked several times to blow into the mouthpiece of the Breathalyzer, he repeatedly answered, “Wait. Wait.”

       Mr. Pangol was arraigned Saturday morning in East Hampton Justice Court before Justice Steven Tekulsky. “You cannot drive,” the justice warned him emphatically. Bail was set at $500, which was posted at the police station by a woman who had been seated in the courtroom and who identified herself to the court as the defendant’s wife.

       In other police news, on Dec. 17 the office of Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota obtained a grand jury indictment against a Springs man, Gerardo M. Lligui, on two felony D.W.I. charges.

       Mr. Lligui, 63, was arrested in East Hampton earlier in December after being stopped just before 4 a.m. on Washington Avenue near Three Mile Harbor-Hog Creek Road. Because of a 2011 misdemeanor conviction on the same charge, the new charges were elevated to the felony level.

       After being indicted, Mr. Lligui was arraigned in the criminal court in Riverhead before acting Supreme Court Justice Mark Cohen, who continued his bail at $5,000, which was met.