On the Police Logs 03.20.14


A probable attempt at fraud was stopped over the weekend when the potential victims began asking questions. Judith Lane was finalizing a summer rental with Nathan Yates of New York City and had sent him an email requesting that payment be made by Saturday. Mr. Yates, however, was not receiving Ms. Lane’s emails, which, according to police, were being rerouted to a third party. Mr. Yates did receive an email, apparently from the third person, asking that a large amount of money be deposited in a New Jersey bank account. Ms. Lane and Mr. Yates told police they would conclude their transaction by telephone.

East Hampton Village

Police were dispatched to a Newtown Lane business building near the Middle School Friday afternoon after a caller said there was a woman “screaming” on the second floor. Police located the screaming woman in a bathroom, who told them, according to the log, that she was “yelling into her phone because of bad reception in the building and that everything was fine.”

Police stopped a pickup truck Friday night after a caller reported it was weaving from side to side. The driver, who was sober, told officers he was trying to avoid the many potholes that have plagued motorists in recent weeks.

A Springs woman lost her wallet in the Waldbaum’s parking lot on March 10. No one has turned it in as yet. The wallet is black, gray, and white with “Barcelona” written on it.

A large Lily Pond Lane house filled with smoke Saturday night, setting off smoke alarms and bringing the police and the fire department to the scene. The resident had forgotten to open her fireplace flue.

The gazebo in Herrick Park was vandalized March 11 with graffiti. The cost of cleanup is estimated at $150.

A Miami Beach man left three suitcases at Starbucks early in the afternoon of March 11. After several hours the manager called police, concerned that the man had not returned, and the suitcases were taken to headquarters. The Floridian returned to Starbucks that evening and was soon reunited with his luggage.

Northwest Woods

A Wigwam View Lane house was burglarized early this month. Paul Taylor told police that a sliding door had been forced open. The intruder went through the house, causing damage though apparently finding little of value save for a new HP 40-inch flat-screen TV set, valued at $600.

Sag Harbor

Leonarda Bennett of Meredith Avenue called police late Friday night to say she had seen suspicious lights flickering in her front yard. Police found the culprit, a large piece of aluminum foil, which was blowing back and forth in the yard.

An officer investigating a report of downed mailboxes on High Street Friday afternoon reported that it was not vandals, but rather rotten wood, that caused the boxes to fall off their posts.


Harbor Marina was targeted last week by gasoline thieves, who syphoned off about 10 gallons of gas from two aluminum Marine Patrol boats stored there. The boats’ fuel lines were cut and their tank caps were missing. The theft was reported on March 12 by James Bennett, who told police it had happened sometime since the beginning of the month. Damage and losses were estimated at about $135.

An attempt at identity theft was thwarted by an 8th Street resident, who noticed unusual activity on one of her credit cards. It appeared that someone was trying to open a new account using the one belonging to Bonnie Jedell. Ms. Jedell told police she had contacted all her card companies to report the incident.