D.W.I.: A Morning-After Parade in Court

The annual morning-after-St. Patrick’s-Day parade took place on Monday in East Hampton Justice Court, with five handcuffed, not-so-happy participants and about 20 friends and family members watching. Justice Steven Tekulsky arraigned three men who were arrested in Montauk during or just after the parade and a fourth who was charged in East Hampton Village after leaving it.

Bryant J. Powers, 22, of Lindenhurst, who was still wearing the green shirt he had donned for the parade, was ticketed at about 12:30 p.m. Sunday for public urination. As an East Hampton Town officer, a veteran of the New York Police Department, was writing out the citation, Mr. Powers allegedly shoved or kicked her.

He ended up in handcuffs after a struggle in which he was described as “kicking, spitting, and screaming,” fighting not only officers but bystanders as well. He faces three charges in addition to the citation, including resisting arrest, a misdemeanor, and two more violations, physical harassment and disorderly conduct.

He left the courthouse Monday with a date to return to court, several noticeable bruises on his face, and his sister, who had posted his $200 bail.

Town police wrote up at least 13 other citations in Montauk on Sunday, according to the log, for “fight,” “disturbance” (two), “harassment,” “destruction of property,” and a couple of “intoxicated subjects.” Reported separately in these pages is a predawn act of mass vandalism, in which at least 10 cars of visitors staying in local accomodations had their tires slashed.

Monday’s other four arraignments were all on charges of driving while intoxicated. John J. Angulo, 25, of West Babylon, who told the court he lived part-time in Montauk, reportedly ran a stop sign at South Embassy Street and Emerson Avenue, where he turned by the beach without signaling. He was stopped at about 6:30 p.m. and brought to police headquarters where, after speaking with an attorney, according to his file, he refused to take the breath test. His driver’s license was automatically suspended as a result.

Justice Tekulsky noted that he had been arrested on the same charge before. The earlier charge was reduced to D.W.A.I., driving with ability impaired, which remains on his New York State driving record for life. Any three alcohol-related convictions in a 25-year period can trigger a 10-year in-state revocation of driving privileges.

Mr. Angulo left the courthouse with his mother, who posted his $500 bail, and a younger woman.

A few hours after Sunday’s parade ended, police said Christopher B. Briand, 24, of Montauk was seen talking on his cellphone while driving and failing to yield to pedestrians in a Main Street crosswalk.

Mr. Briand had a number of friends and family in the courtroom, with at least six people telling the guard outside that they were there for him. His blood-alcohol content was .14, over the legal limit of .08. Justice Tekulsky released him without bail due to his ties in the community, but with a future court date.

Robert J. McKay, 21, of Medford was headed west on Pantigo Road near Accabonac Road after the parade ended when East Hampton Village police stopped him, saying he had been tailgating the car ahead. A breath test at headquarters reportedly produced a reading of .10.

Justice Tekulsky set bail at $200, warning the young man that he had to show up at all his court dates or a warrant would be issued for his arrest. “You will be right back here in handcuffs, which I guess is not the most pleasant experience,” the justice said. “No, sir,” Mr. McKay answered.

Monday’s fifth defendant was arrested Sunday night on his way to Montauk. Yeisen Alex Gonzalez, 23, of Hampton Bays was pulled over at about 10 p.m. on Montauk Highway near Stephen Hand’s Path by a village officer who said he had turned off his headlights, accelerated into the oncoming lane, and gunned by three cars before tailgating a marked police car. Mr. Gonzalez reportedly told the officer, “I’m going to Montauk to meet a girl.”

His blood-alcohol content was said to be .12. He was released on $200 bail and is scheduled to return to court, as are most of the other defendants, on April 24.

Sag Harbor Village police arrested a Flanders woman last Thursday night, charging her with aggravated D.W.I. and leaving the scene of an accident.

Police said a witness watched as Yolanda L. Torres, 30, hit a lightpole at the intersection of Division and Bay Streets, then drove off and pulled into a nearby 7-Eleven. Police said she was still seated behind the wheel of her Toyota Scion when they arrived. Her breath test at Division Street headquarters was said to produce a reading of over .27, well over the .18 threshold that triggers a raised misdemeanor charge of aggravated drunken driving.

She was released without bail, but with an upcoming date in Sag Harbor Justice Court.