East Hampton Town police made several arrests over the past two weeks on violence-related charges, all of which resulted in court orders of protection for the alleged victims.
A Southampton man who was convicted of a felony drug charge earlier this year but has yet to be sentenced, and who is facing a second felony charge as well, was arrested Tuesday afternoon on yet another felony count, assault with a weapon.
According to Maggie Bopp, the assistant district attorney representing the county during the arraignment of Gabriel L. Narvaez, 24, the weapon in question was a glass. She said the defendant had hurled it at a woman, cutting her face and chipping a tooth during an early morning incident at Georgica Restaurant in Wainscott.
Mr. Narvaez, who pleaded guilty on March 14 to attempted criminal possession of narcotics, was due to be sentenced today in the Cromarty Criminal Court Building in Riverside. Before he was arraigned on the latest charge, East Hampton Town Justice Lisa R. Rana reviewed his criminal record, which Ms. Bopp said was 17 pages long.
“I have one felony conviction, two misdemeanor convictions, and we have apparently four open misdemeanor charges. He has a Southampton assault. I have a lot of stuff open in Southampton,” Justice Rana said. He was unable to make his $10,000 bail and remained in custody.
Mr. Narvaez’s most recent Southampton Town arrest appears to have been on May 18, in Hampton Bays, where he was charged with misdemeanor assault after a bar fight that sent one man to the hospital. He is due to be arraigned on that charge, as well as a misdemeanor drug possession charge, in Southampton Justice Court on July 30.
Justice Rana issued an order of protection Tuesday for Mr. Narvaez’s alleged East Hampton victim, Alexandra Skiffington.
Ms. Bopp asked that bail be set at $20,000.
“He informs me that when he was taken into custody last evening, he took a sobriety test,” Robert Savage, an attorney who represented Mr. Narvaez for the arraignment, said, adding that Mr. Narvaez passed.
“There is an outstanding felony,” Ms. Bopp replied, not specifying its nature.
“But he hasn’t taken a plea yet,” Justice Rana said. He was unable to make his $10,000 bail and remained in custody.
Margaret P. Rodney, 44, was charged with felony assault after police accused her of striking another woman in the face with a salad plate on June 11, opening a cut that required nine stitches. At her arraignment last Thursday, Ms. Bopp asked that bail be set at $1,000.
Brian Francese, Ms. Rodney’s Legal Aid Society attorney, told the court the defendant had lived on the East End for 15 years, and asked that she be released without bail. “The complaining witness instigated this encounter,” he said.
“I’ve read the paperwork. I’m going to set bail, but at a lower amount,” Justice Rana said. Bail was set at $350, which was posted.
A June 7 dinnertime fight at a Pantigo Road deli ended with one man unconscious on the floor and two brothers from Springs under arrest for misdemeanor assault. Adolfo Urizar-Reyes, 33, and Marvin Y. Urizar-Reyes, 35, had bought meals to go at Calvo’s Deli earlier that morning, the younger brother told police. One of the brothers found a hair in his salad, he stated, leading the two, who work for the same employer, to return to the deli that evening to complain.
While they spoke with a woman behind the counter, a third man, Rigoberto Rivera-Espinosa, was standing nearby with another man, both of whom were strangers to the brothers. According to the alleged victim’s statement, one of the brothers told the woman that “he was going to call the police. I laughed a little.”
The older brother, he said, asked,? ?“ ‘What’s your problem?’ ”
“I don’t have a problem,” Mr. Rivera-Espinosa told police he answered.
Fists went flying among the four men. Mr. Rivera-Espinosa got the worst of it, police reported, taking punches flush in the face from both brothers. “I fell to the ground. I think I remember being kicked in the face. I really don’t remember. I must have passed out,” he stated.
All statements made in the case were conducted through translators.
“I kicked him once, I’m not going to lie,” the younger defendant told police, “but he offended me.”
Both alleged victims were granted orders of protection at the brothers’ arraignment. Bail was set at $500 apiece.
Mark A. Ripolone of Montauk, 26, was arrested just before midnight on June 5 on two misdemeanor charges, one for choking his girlfriend and a second for destroying her property at his Sanger Place house. In court the next morning, Justice Steven Tekulsky noted that the defendant had no prior convictions, although the incident was the second time in a little over a year that he had been arrested following an alleged domestic violence incident at his house.
It was also the second time he has been the subject of an order of protection. On May 23, 2013, Mr. Ripolone was arrested on a charge of physical harassment, a violation. Former Town Justice Catherine A. Cahill issued a protective order for the alleged victim, whose name was not released, and set bail at $200. Those charges were eventually dropped.
Justice Tekulsky set bail at $500 for the current misdemeanor charge, which was posted.