Also on the Logs 07.24.14

East Hampton

A 16-year-old Chinese boarding student at the Ross School in East Hampton had her credit card account hacked last month by someone operating in the Washington, D.C., area. The girl’s mother called her from China to say her Visa bill showed four transactions totaling over $2,000, all on the same day and at the same grocery store in Rockville, Md. After the card was canceled, the thief attempted to use it again, this time in Washington. That charge was declined.

East Hampton Village

Reports of screaming brought police to a Pantigo Road address early on July 14, where they found a woman arguing with a cab driver over the charge. After police intervened, the fare and the driver, who works out of Washington Heights in Manhattan, agreed on a price.

Police were called to Cooper Lane a little after midnight Saturday. The caller reported that “his neighbor has parties every Saturday night, and is in the hot tub with his friends during all hours of the night.” He was getting no sleep, the man said. It was the second time that day police had been called to the house; during the afternoon officers were there in response to loud music. The officer who responded at midnight reported hearing “the loud noise of the above defendant and friends in the hot tub,” and wrote the man, a New Yorker, a summons for “human noise.”

An Amagansett woman went on a shopping spree Friday afternoon, buying $600 worth of items from Ricky’s and Second Nature Market. When she got to her car, parked across Newtown Lane from Second Nature, she found she had left her keys at one of the stores. She put her shopping bags down by her car and retrieved her keys, but when she returned her purchases were gone.

Returning to his 2006 Nissan in the Georgica Beach parking lot Sunday afternoon, an East Hampton man found two of its tires slashed.

Police had a report of graffiti on the sidewalk outside the Ralph Lauren store last Thursday morning. They found, stenciled in paint, the words “Post no selfie.”

Schenck Fuels called police last Thursday afternoon to report three youths throwing rocks from the railroad tracks at fuel tanks on the company’s parked trucks. An officer confronted the youths, who bolted. One left his mountain bike behind, and it is waiting to be claimed at headquarters.

A late-model Toyota was pulled over at the Montauk Highway-Toilsome Lane intersection after a caller said its driver might be intoxicated. “Found the driver to be normal,” the officer wrote, just “tired from a long day at Splish Splash.”


Early Sunday morning, a customer buying $50 worth of beer and snacks at the 7-Eleven stuck a beach hat on his head on his way out the door and left without paying for it. An employee, Henry Gant, “stopped the cab he had gotten in,” according to the police log. “Hat returned. Negative charges filed.”

A fully restored 1965 black Honda motorcycle was stolen from a Kirk Avenue property on July 13. Michael Bray told police a bag of tools was taken as well.

On Kettle Hole Road, a mailbox at one house and a light fixture at another were vandalized the night of July 1. The owner of the light fixture, Jack Botero, said it would cost $200 to repair. The mailbox was valued at $20 by its owner, Maureen Mirabile.
Jawahir Jairam parked outside Montauk Manor a little before noon on June 26, leaving the windows of his 2009 Suzuki open. Three hours later he noticed an old flip cellphone gone, along with his handicapped permit, which was hanging from the rearview mirror.

Courtney Kirsch of Manhattan was at the bar of the Memory Motel early Saturday morning when her black iPhone 5S, valued at $500, was stolen from her purse. Using the Find My iPhone app, she was able to track it to Flamingo Avenue, where the thief apparently turned it off.

A blue Trek road bike was stolen from a South Etna Avenue house overnight Saturday. Donna Trinko told police the bike, which she paid $2,000 for three years ago, was rarely used and was in excellent condition. She had left it leaning against the front steps, she said, where it could not be seen from the street.

Two bicycles left outside the Gig Shack for 40 minutes on July 12 were reported stolen by their owners, Skylar Gardell-Gross of Montauk and Marcos Martinez-Garcia of Sag Harbor. The theft occurred between 8:30 and 9:10 in the evening. One bike was described by East Hampton Town police as a silver E-Motto, valued at $900; the value of the other, which was dark green, was not given.

Sag Harbor

Eleanor Yardley of Atlantic Avenue called police Saturday evening after finding a deer stuck in her fence. Two officers worked together and freed the animal, which was no worse for wear as it ran off.

Police received a frantic call from a Long Point Road woman reporting that she was “unable to locate” her daughter. Police arrived just as a neighbor delivered the 2-year-old back to Wendy Kalison. The child had climbed out of her crib, police said, and was found toddling down the street.

Vandals damaged a window at Balance Studio on Long Island Avenue Sunday night.


A Lafayette Place resident reported $10,000 in cash stolen from a safe,  sometime between July 5 and July 15. Alexander Colonna told police the safe, which was in a closet, had been pried open. There were no signs of forced entry. Detectives are investigating.

An intruder broke into a shed on Gerard Drive sometime last week and stole a paddle and a Riviera paddleboard with a signature “R” on it, together valued at over $1,200. Philip Weyhe estimated it would cost about $200 to replace the shed door.