D.W.I. Hit Parked Car, Fled

A 41-year-old East Islip man who allegedly fled the scene of an accident late Saturday night was arrested soon after when his Jeep engine quit.

East Hampton Town police said Guy C. Wilson, who was charged with drunken driving, veered off the road on South Fairview Avenue and crashed into the rear of a parked car, causing severe front-end damage to the Jeep. When it stopped running he fled on foot, according to the report, but was tracked down to a nearby house. He was taken to Southampton Hospital, treated for his injuries, and released back to police. He reportedly refused to take a chemical test, resulting in the automatic suspension of his license.

Mr. Wilson, who owns a house in Montauk but not the one where he was found, was released the next morning without bail following his arraignment in East Hampton Town Justice Court. He will be back in court later in August.

On Sunday at about 9 a.m., Wilson M. Uyaguari-Carchipulla, 37, of East Hampton was southbound on Queens Lane, East Hampton, when his 1996 Ford went off a curve and struck a telephone pole near Accabonac Highway. Officers charged him with driving while intoxicated after having him perform roadside sobriety tests.

At the stationhouse in Wainscott, his blood-alcohol content was reportedly recorded at .15 of 1 percent, almost double the .08 reading that triggers an arrest. By the time his processing was finished, so too were the Sunday-morning arraignments in Justice Court, leaving him in a holding cell for almost 24 hours. His brother posted bail of $350 the next morning.

A businessman from Nicaragua who told Justice Steven Tekulsky that he splits his time between Costa Rica, Miami, and New York when he is not in Europe, presented the court with a challenge during his arraignment Sunday morning.

Sebastian C. Palazio, 36, had spent much of Saturday afternoon and evening at the Surf Lodge in Montauk. “I had several drinks at the Surf Lodge,” he told an officer who stopped him that night on Industrial Road, about 50 yards from the club. Mr. Palazio had failed to dim his headlights for oncoming traffic, the officer reported, and he allegedly failed field sobriety tests as well.

Back in Wainscott his breath test registered .21, according to police, triggering a raised charge of aggravated D.W.I.

As he was setting bail the next morning, Justice Tekulsky considered how to ensure the man’s return to court. He asked about his city address, on Duane Street. “I only spend two or three days a month there,” Mr. Palazio said, sounding calm and assured.

Justice Tekulsky asked for a Costa Rican mailing address, which Mr. Palazio supplied. But, he added, “If you send something, it probably won’t get there.”

After setting bail of $2,500, Justice Tekulsky asked if there was anyone the defendant could call. When the response seemed uncertain, he set a return date for today, lest the man spend several weeks in county jail. “But I have a doctor’s appointment in Miami this Thursday,” Mr. Palazio protested, explaining that he had suffered a severe allergic reaction to food, and Thursday — today — was his scheduled follow-up visit.

“You’re fairly certain you’re going to make bail?” Justice Tekulsky asked.  This time the answer was positive. Assured now that bail was not an issue, he set a return date in August, then asked if there were any dietary restrictions police should know about, so Mr. Palazio could have something to eat until a bail bondsman could reach him.

“Just to stay away from peanuts,” was the response. “They won’t give you any peanuts,” Justice Tekulsky promised.

Also arrested overnight Saturday, during which local police and officers from other East End jurisdictions were conducting a sweep against drunken driving, were Morgan Dylan, 20, and Nicole J Swartzentruber, 37, both of New York City; Peter S. Hallet, 20, of Amagansett, and Gilberto F. Sanchez, 72, of Fajado, Puerto Rico.

Edison R. Jimbo-Bautista, 23, of Sag Harbor, was charged on Friday night. Bail was set Saturday morning at $300, which was immediately posted by Mr. Jimbo-Bautista’s family.

The week’s last arrest by town police, that of a juvenile identified in court only as Pablo F., came early Monday morning. The defendant was granted youthful offender status.