Back in Court

A Springs man was back in East Hampton Town Justice Court last week, this time charged with violating an order of protection issued earlier this year following an alleged sexual assault.

Valon Shoshi, 31, was arrested in June on charges of sex abuse after his girlfriend at the time was assaulted in East Hampton Village. He was later indicted on more serious felony charges, which included forcible sexual abuse, criminal contempt of court, and aggravated contempt of an order of protection. He has been out on bail since July 21. 

According to the most recent court information, the ex-girlfriend called East Hampton Town police on Sept. 27 when she realized that Mr. Shoshi was driving behind her as she was heading home. He reportedly pulled into her driveway, where he remained parked for approximately two minutes before leaving. 

Town police charged him last Thursday at 4:55 p.m. with second-degree criminal contempt, a misdemeanor. During his arraignment the next day, Lawrence Schoenbach, his attorney, told Justice Lisa R. Rana that Mr. Shoshi was pleading not guilty and said he did not agree with the charges. 

“It was not a violation of the order of protection,” Mr. Schoenbach said. “The defendant said he doesn’t know where she lives. There was no contact. He saw her car, turned around, and went the opposite direction.”

Justice Rana set bail at $5,000. Mr. Shoshi is due back in court today.

Also arrested this week was Michael Zaharek, 71, of East Hampton. East Hampton Town police charged him with criminal obstruction of breathing, a misdemeanor, and second-degree harassment, a violation, on Saturday evening, saying he had grabbed a woman by her neck at his house on McElnea Street in East Hampton. When he let go of her neck, he shoved her, police said, and she fell back, hitting her arm on a window. According to the report, her arm and neck were red and she was in pain.

With Reporting by Jackie Pape