Also on the Logs


A house on Shore Road in Lazy Point was burglarized on May 2. John Gicking told police he had left about 9 a.m. and returned at 5 p.m. to discover $5,000 in cash and two watches, one by Panerai and the other by Breitling, missing from a closet. Police found no sign of forced entry.

East Hampton

Police were called to Town Hall last Thursday around noon. Kathleen Rood, who heads the Department of Human Resources, and Michael Sendlenski, the town’s lead attorney, were meeting with a Parks Department employee about some unnamed incidents when he became unruly. The employee’s exact conduct was unclear, but it was enough to cause the two supervisors to phone for the police. The employee had left the building by the time the police arrived. Mr. Sendlenski and Ms. Rood declined to press charges, but wanted the incident documented.

East Hampton Village

A Springs resident, unhappy with her haircut, refused to pay her $45 tab at Special Effects Unisex Salon on May 3 and stormed out, after which she began calling the salon repeatedly to complain. The salon owner called police, who contacted the woman. She gave the $45 to an officer, who turned it over to the salon and warned her to stop the phone calls. The next morning, however, police were back at the salon. The woman had messaged its owner on Facebook, threatening to take out an advertisement in the newspaper about her haircut. The salon owner was told to alert police if the woman made any further contact.


A pair of shoplifters struck the Cynthia Rowley store on Main Street Sunday afternoon. The manager, Emily Giant, confronted the two young women as they tried to leave, demanding they return the stolen clothing. They did return one bathing suit, but then took off out a side door, running down an alley toward Sag Coffee, then east on South Elmwood Avenue. Ms. Giant tried to follow, but could not catch them. The stolen items, all the Cynthia Rowley brand, included a two-piece bathing suit, a black sweater with a red neck and red and silver cuffs, and a light blue sweater with orange stripes, valued altogether at over $500. Video of the two has been turned over to the police.

An officer on patrol April 30 noticed a broken padlock on the lifeguard shed at Ditch Plain Beach. A town lifeguard, John Ryan, came to the scene and told police this was the second time the shed had been broken into. An interior door had been kicked open as well. The damage to the padlock and door was estimated at $500.

A resident of the Landing on West Lake Drive returned home May 3 after being away for seven months to find $7,000 he had left behind missing. Lawrence Keller said he had rented the unit while he was away, and told police he would not press charges but wanted his money back. Police spoke with the lessees, who said they had the $7,000 safely put away, thinking that was what Mr. Keller wanted done. The money was returned without incident.

A man reported his wallet stolen from the train station Sunday evening. Fred Karp, of no fixed address, told police he had left his bags at the station so he could walk downtown for coffee. When he returned, he said, he found a hole in one of the bags. His black zippered wallet, containing $200, was gone.

Two men working at a North Farragut Road residence came to blows after their lunch break last Thursday. The fight between the carpenter and the painter started over a leaking propane tank. Neither wanted to press charges, each saying he wanted nothing more to do with the other, an idea the police endorsed.

Sag Harbor

Police were called to a West Water Street marina on May 3. John Fischetti said he had last been on his boat April 28, and returned on May 3 to find a 200-quart commercial cooler gone, along with a cutting board, a toolbox filled with tools, and cleaning supplies, together valued at over $1,000.