His Two Passengers Were Not So Lucky

A BMW convertible now sitting in the East Hampton Town police impound yard in Wainscott shows the damage from a crash on Cranberry Hole Road in Amagansett Saturday night. T.E. McMorrow

    Three one-car crashes last week ended in charges of driving while intoxicated, and four people, two of the drivers and two passengers, ended up in the hospital.

    A New York City man was arraigned on the charge Sunday morning in East Hampton Justice Court after a crash Saturday night in Amagansett. Richard D. Forman, 49, was westbound on Cranberry Hole Road in a 2002 BMW convertible with its top down when he failed to negotiate a curve near Bendigo Road, according to East Hampton Town police.

    Mr. Forman lost control of the car as it skidded across the road, rolled over, and came to a stop among trees. The crash occurred shortly after 10 p.m. He was taken to Southampton Hospital, where he was treated and released to police custody. Back at headquarters he reportedly refused to take a breath test.

    Mr. Forman, who was still wearing the shorts he had had on when he was arrested, showed barely a nick when he stood before Justice Lisa Rana, other than a long scratch on the back of his left Achilles tendon and what appeared to be a cut on his nose. His two passengers were not so fortunate.

    The front-seat passenger, Jeffrey Frumin, 40, of Manhattan was taken to Southampton Hospital with undisclosed injuries. The man in back, Michael Glickman, 40, also of New York, who was thrown from the car, was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital. Both men are said by police to be in stable condition.

    Mr. Forman, with an attorney, John Cucci Jr. of Blue Point, by his side, sighed and shook his head as he was arraigned. He told Justice Rana that he owned his own company, a health care financial consultant group, and that he was renting a house in Water Mill for the season.

    “Mr. Forman is a lifelong New York resident,” his attorney told Justice Rana as she was deciding on bail. “He has three of his children in a camp upstate.”

    While arguing that his client be released without bail, Mr. Cucci mentioned that Mr. Forman had $3,000 on hand if needed.

    It was, at least in part.

    Noting that Mr. Forman had little ties, other than his summer rental, to the community, as well as the severity of the incident the night before involving “serious physical injury,” the court set bail at $1,000. It was posted shortly after, and Mr. Forman will be back in court at a future date. Because he refused to take the breath test his license was automatically suspended, pending a hearing to determine whether it should be revoked for a year.

    Another small car, a 2005 MinICooper, was similarly involved in a rollover last week. In that incident, it was the driver who was taken to the hospital.

    Darlene R. Smith, 55, of Springs was southbound, a little before midnight last Thursday, and was near her Three Mile Harbor-Hog Creek Road residence when she lost control. The car crossed the road and flipped over, hitting several trees and a telephone pole. The driver told police she had swerved to avoid hitting a deer.

    Police arrived to find Ms. Smith being treated by Springs Fire Department personnel and an emergency medical services unit. An officer, suspecting that she was intoxicated, had her take a field sobriety test, the results of which were not released. She was arrested, however, and taken to the hospital. According to an accident report, Ms. Smith complained of pain throughout her body, but never lost consciousness.

    She is scheduled to be arraigned in justice court this morning.

    “Vehicle vs. tree” was the concise police description of the week’s third alcohol-related accident, early Friday evening. The officer who wrote that was the first to arrive at the crash, on Cedar Street near Heritage Farm Lane in East Hampton.

    The car that had challenged the tree was gone, but a witness was not, and she described the collision, telling the officer that she’d seen a Jeep headed south on the wrong side of Cedar Street. It swerved left, she said, then right, before crossing the road and going off the shoulder into the tree. The driver then drove the damaged vehicle away.

    The officer checked the neighborhood for the Jeep, and spotted it, with its engine still running, in a driveway on Oakview Highway. Seated behind the wheel, according to the report, was Ronald A. King, 37, who the officer said appeared to be intoxicated.

    The witness was called, and came to the house, where she identified the car and driver. Mr. King was taken to headquarters, where he reportedly refused to take a breath test. The charge against him is a felony, due to a previous drunken driving conviction within the past 10 years.

    Details have not yet been released concerning a fourth accident that led to an arrest for drunken driving, this one on West Lake Drive in Montauk late Sunday night.

    Town police also charged the following with D.W.I. over the past week: Lisa F. Nutall of Guttenberg, N.J., whose blood-alcohol level was reported at .16, twice the legal limit; Raymond A. DeSalvo, 53, of Sag Harbor, Constance L. Heym, 66, of Montauk, Romy Tejas-Isla, 39, of East Hampton, and Trevor J. Baird, 51, of Bridgehampton, whose blood-alcohol level was said to be .17, just below the .18 level that would have triggered a more serious charge of aggravated drunken driving. Town police also said Mr. Baird had a small amount of cocaine in the car, and charged him with possession of a controlled substance, a misdemeanor.

    There was one D.W.I. stop in East Hampton Village, that of Edward Lopez, 26, of Riverhead, who was arrested early Saturday morning.

Richard Forman of New York was led into East Hampton Town Justice Court on Sunday, charged with driving while intoxicated after an accident that sent his two passengers to the hospital with serious injuries Saturday night. T.E. McMorrow