Win Keyed by Correa

Luis Correa, heading goalward above, scored three of the East Hampton Football Club’s four goals in Sunday’s State Cup game. Jack Graves

       The East Hampton Football Club continued its winning streak at the Ross School Sunday by defeating Brishna, a tough men’s soccer team from Queens whose players are of Afghan ancestry, 4-3, thanks largely to three goals by the elusive Luis (Piri) Correa.

       The game had particular importance inasmuch as it was a third-round contest in the State Cup, a tournament that will continue in the spring.

       “He scores in every game,” Corey DeRosa said afterward. “We’re lucky to have a player like Piri.”

       Earlier in the week, Correa won the 7-on-7 league’s golden boot (goleador) award for having scored the most goals (17) in the fall season. The trophy was presented to him by Leslie Czeladko during that league’s final, in which John Romero’s Maidstone Market team and Tortorella Pools vied.

       Although Maidstone and Tortorella had tied twice earlier in the fall, the final, played on Nov. 25, was no contest as Maidstone, which controlled the ball pretty much exclusively, won easily, 4-1.

       The East Hampton Football Club is an augmented — and very powerful — version of Maidstone Market. Before Sunday’s State Cup game began, Gehider Garcia, one of Maidstone’s players, said that while Tortorella had the younger, quicker guys, the plan was to control the ball, “and attack once we’d drawn them out.”

       Correa scored a goal in that one; Diego Marles, who headed in a goal on Sunday, Antonio Padilla, and Mario Olaya scored the others. Cristian Munoz, in the final minute, scored for Tortorella.

       Concerning Sunday’s win, DeRosa, who played in the goal in the first half (Alex Mesa was the keeper in the second half), said, “They knew they didn’t have our skills, though they were very good psychologically, and, as the result of their taunting, took us out of our game in the first half. We settled down in the second.”

       Neither team was happy with the referee, though East Hampton perhaps had the stronger case inasmuch as the visitors’ first two goals were, according to DeRosa, gifts.

       “That guy [Mohammed Mashriqi, Brishna’s left wing] was 10 yards offside on their first one. He was way beyond any of our defenders, who were all out of the box, when he headed in that cross.”

       Brishna came out strong with a chest-high shot from in close that, had not Cristian Gonzalez, an East Hampton defender, been there to chest it away, would have beaten DeRosa to the far corner.

       Moments later, Correa broke the ice, ramming home the rebound of a shot taken by Danny Bedoya. Mashriqi’s header followed, but Correa replied with his second goal of the day, after which Marles’s free kick from about 20 yards out clanged off the left post.

       Brishna evened the count again, by way of a penalty kick, after Marles had been called for a foul in the box (a call that DeRosa and Romero thought was unjust). “The ref was looking to call a foul on Diego — it was a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time,” DeRosa said afterward.

       The score at the half was 2-2.

       About 10 minutes into the second half, Marles headed in a free kick taken by Padilla, for 3-2, “and then, about 20 minutes later, Piri took a cross from Antonio in open space and blasted a shot high into the right corner,” said DeRosa.

       Correa’s goal — his third of the afternoon — was the clincher. “They scored on another penalty kick,” said DeRosa, “after we’d had trouble clearing the ball.”

       The win improved the East Hampton Football Club’s overall record to 12-0. “We’re 7-0 in the league, 2-0 in League Cup games, and now 3-0 in State Cup games,” said DeRosa, who helps Romero and Luis Barrera oversee the team, which is to finish the fall campaign here this Sunday with Rockville Centre, a game scheduled to be played at the Ross School at noon.