25 Years Ago in Bonac Sports 06.27.13

Local sports history

June 9, 1988
    This year’s Shelter Island 10K field proved to be the deepest the race has ever attracted. Seventeen runners broke 31 minutes, a 5-minute-per-mile pace.
    . . . Notable performances by local runners included Kevin Barry’s 32:27, good for 30th place, and Cheryl Bednosky’s 39:06, like Barry’s a personal best. Bednosky was the 16th woman, despite the fact she had bronchitis. She and Barry received the “top East Ender” awards. Tim Fitzpatrick, also of Shelter Island, ran a 33:37, his best time in the distance by three minutes. He was 40th.

June 16, 1988
    A showdown between Marders and the Town Police Benevolent Association in the National Division of the East Hampton Town Little League last Thursday was decided in Marders’ favor, 6-5, as an infield error in the bottom of the sixth inning allowed the winning run to score from second base.
    The game, which virtually decided the division’s pennant-winner, was a seesaw affair the whole way. Marders got a run in the bottom of the first inning; the Town PBA went up 2-1 in the top of the third. In the bottom half, Marders’ tall left-handed pitcher, Ross Gload, hit what spectators said was one of the longest home runs they’ve seen in local Little League play, over the center field fence, to tie the score at 3-3.

    Oceans, a restaurant in Amagansett, and Kathy Strandberg, East Hampton High School’s volleyball coach, will oversee a series of eight beach volleyball tournaments this summer — four at Amagansett’s Atlantic Avenue Beach and four in East Quogue.

    Eben Jones, 27, of Ossining, N.Y., and Judie Hallwood, also 27, of New York City, in their first tries were winners Saturday at the Montauk Triathlon. Jones set a course record of 2 hours, 4 minutes, and 52 seconds, breaking the 2:07:11 set last year by Jim Cutrone of Brooklyn.
    . . . A former Dartmouth University swimmer, Jones, who now works in the loan department of Manufacturers Hanover, took command quickly, winning the one-mile swim in 17:24. His was the fastest split in the 28-mile bicycle leg too, at 1:04:24, also a course record. He finished about three minutes ahead of the runner-up, Jim Bolster, the Columbia University varsity swimming coach.
    The winner said he had not been able to walk five days before the race as a result of having “blown [his] legs out” in the Oxford, Md., triathlon on June 4. Oxford’s distances were 2 miles for the swim, 55 for the bike, and 15 for the run. Jones finished fifth there, qualifying for the Ironman triathlon in Hawaii.

    Michael Sarlo and Suzie O’Conor, East Hampton High School seniors, were the varsity coaches’ picks to receive the Paul Yuska award, the top one presented at last Thursday night’s athletic awards dinner, during which more than 200 students participating in varsity sports were honored.
    Sarlo, who lettered three years in basketball and baseball, and two in football, recently completed an outstanding baseball season during which he set a school record for runs batted in, 44, and was named to the all-county team. O’Conor, who captained the girls tennis, basketball, and softball teams, lettered two years in those sports.

June 30, 1988
    The Masons defeated Marders on Monday and Tuesday nights to win the East Hampton Town Little League’s “world series.” It was the second time in three years that the Masons had captured the championship.
    Justin Geehreng pitched the American Division pennant-winner to a 4-1 victory over the National Division champion at Maidstone Park on Monday, and the next night, at Lions field in East Hampton, Guy Ficeto went all the way as the Masons edged Marders 1-0, thanks to a first-inning run.
    . . . In Monday’s game Geehreng’s only miscue was a fourth-inning changeup that Ross Gload launched skyward into a pine tree about 300 feet from home plate.
    To Marders fans, who let out a cry, Gload’s clout appeared to be a two-run home run, but a ground rule, outlined beforehand, limited the left-handed slugger to a double. Denis Dunn Jr., who had preceded Gload with a single, the first hit of the game off Geehreng, was held up at third. Then Geehreng bore down, limiting Marders to one run on a fielder’s choice.

    Paul Annacone’s stay at Wimbledon ended Tuesday with a straight-set loss to Boris Becker, the sixth seed and two-time champion, in the round of 16. It was the best Wimbledon the East Hampton-reared tennis professional has enjoyed since his debut on the circuit in 1984 when he reached the quarterfinals.