25 Years Ago in Bonac Sports 08.08.13

Local sports history

July 7, 1988
    After Saturday’s Little League all-star game, Alex Walter, the Masons’ coach, picked the following to represent East Hampton in the District 36 tournament: Justin Geehreng and Guy Ficeto of the Masons; Ross Gload, Pat McGarty, and Michael Bennett of Marders; Kevin Somers, Stephen Quick, and Henry Meyer of the Town P.B.A.; Shane Davis and Philip Naglieri of the Springs Fire Department; Bud Short of the Village P.B.A.; David Barbour of March Equipment; Jeff Hand of the Amagansett Fire Department, and George Wilson of Rotary.

    The Stephen Talkhouse 2-mile race will be held Sunday at 10 a.m., beginning at the Amagansett railroad station and ending at Miss Amelia’s Cottage. The course record, 9:46, was set by John Kenney of New York City and Shelter Island in 1986.

July 14, 1988
    James Consiglio, 27, of Montauk, won Sunday’s Stephen Talkhouse 2-mile race in Amagansett in 11 minutes and 8 seconds, leading a field of 36, including Tony Venesina, 45, of Sag Harbor, who stayed with Consiglio through the first half of the race.
    The women’s winner was Annette MacNiven, 30, of Springs, who was 10th over all in 13:53.

July 21, 1988
    The East Hampton Bowl on Montauk Highway has announced that, along with bowling proprietors nationwide, it will celebrate the inclusion of bowling as a demonstration sport at the Seoul Olympics by holding a “bowling celebration” the first three weekends in August.
    During these weekends every other game bowled will be free, and the Lanes will offer bowlers and non-bowlers alike opportunities to win prizes, including three Jeep Cherokee wagons, five vacations, to Las Vegas and Atlantic City, 20 Minolta cameras, and 100 Coleman Coolers.

July 28, 1988
    While champagne and tea sandwiches were on the breakfast menu in the Hampton Classic Horse Show’s striped grand prix tent Sunday, muck was the riders’ portion in the early-morning hours of opening day, thanks to weather that had largely been inclement for the prior week.
    Riders are nothing if not intrepid; despite the rain, the show went on, and, considering the difficult footing, there were few mishaps. By about 9:30 a.m., it was time to fold up the umbrellas and to brave for the rest of the morning and afternoon a searing sun.
    Having been assailed in the past by cyclones and gale-force winds, the Classic, whose dates were moved up this year from the end of August to the end of July, can probably stand a little rain.
    Hope for better weather was the major reason for the permanent change in dates; the lengthy quarantine period for Olympics-bound horses, another.
    . . . Jimmy Lipton, of New York City and Bridgehampton, who competed in hunter classes on Chico, a quarter horse “with heart,” said, “The two sports I enjoy — showing horses over fences and flying — require absolute concentration, and the consequences of not concentrating are very serious. I think it’s important to expose yourself to real risks — we seldom take chances. The riders took chances today — the footing is dangerous, especially in the lower end of the hunter ring. We talked about it this morning, and everyone decided to go. Considering the conditions, everybody is riding remarkably well.”
    “I’m not talking of fake risks,” he continued, “the macho type, or of watching others take risks. When you really concentrate, the slate is wiped clean. It’s like taking a big eraser and erasing everything. In show jumping, the fence in front of you, generally speaking, is all there is in the world. It’s your whole world. And when you’ve had a good round — you and that 1,200 to 1,500-pound animal under you — you feel like a million dollars.”
    Once, in a mucky schooling ring, the horse Lipton was riding slipped on a turn, and went down. He got his leg out, but his shoulder was broken in three places. Six weeks later, his shoulder still in a sling, he was competing in hunter classes. “The sport’s very addictive,” he said.

    The East Hampton Little League traveling all-star squad, coached by Alex Walter and Emmett Bennett, became on Monday the first squad from here ever to play in an eastern Suffolk district final. The Little Leaguers, who had earlier in the week defeated North Patchogue 7-4 and Hampton Bays 3-0, lost 8-0 to North Shore in the final, which was played at the North Patchogue-Medford field.
    . . . Seven of North Shore’s runs were unearned as East Hampton’s defense, which had been a strong point in its first three tournament games, sagged.
    . . . The agony of defeat did not last long. “Kids bounce back,” said Walter. “By the time we hit McDonald’s on Route 101, they were in great humor.”