Worn Down Again

The Bonackers couldn’t make much headway against the Porters in the second half. Craig Macnaughton

    As happened the week before, the East Hampton High School football team played a good first half, but a rather poor second one in Saturday’s matchup here with Greenport-Southold-Mattituck, a team that was several spots below the Bonackers in the preseason rankings.

    But it’s hard to imagine the Porters, who are now 2-0, being patsies given the size of their offensive line. Bob Liepa, a North Fork sportswriter who covers the team, said afterward that he’d asked Greenport’s coach whether that line weighed around 1,200 pounds all told, and was told that that figure might be “conservative.”

    “I think East Hampton just got worn down,” volunteered one of the referees as the game proceeded toward what by then seemed to be its inevitable conclusion.

    As for the first half, the Bonackers, who were tied at 7-7 with the visitors at the break, wasted a couple of promising drives, one in the first quarter and one in the second, because of fumbles that Greenport pounced on.

    Following a Porter punt, East Hampton’s second possession began at its 41. Two first downs later, Colton Kalbacher, after gathering in a pitch from Cort Heneveld, drew cheers as he swept the left side, but coughed up the ball on being brought down at the Greenport 30.

    The first quarter ended scoreless. Early in the second, following another Greenport punt, East Hampton, with Axel Alanis, Kalbacher, R.J. Notel, and Brendan Hughes running hard, found itself with a second-and-two at the visitors’ 20-yard line. The ball then went to Notel, who ran to the 8, where he, as Kalbacher before him, coughed the ball up.

    East Hampton was to get on the scoreboard later in the period after Thomas Nelson stepped in to intercept Greenport’s quarterback, Matt Drinkwater, near the midfield stripe, a turnover that buoyed the spirits of Bonac fans.

    Heneveld gained six on the first play, after which Martin Frosberg carried for a first down at the 31. A good second effort by Hughes subsequently advanced the ball to the 23, for a second-and-two there, after which Notel ran for another first down at the 18.

    Heneveld was sacked for a loss of six on the first play of the series, but then connected in the flat with Nelson, who ran the ball for a third-and-six at the 14. Hughes then bulled his way for a first-and-goal at the 4, after which Heneveld broke into the end zone. Lucas Escobar, who also plays on the varsity soccer team, made good on the extra point.

    It was to be the last time East Hampton was to score that afternoon.

    Greenport’s Christian Angelson then shocked the crowd with an 85-yard return of Juan Gomez’s kickoff, but an illegal-block-in-the-back call nullified the score and brought the ball back to East Hampton’s 42.

    A highly controversial out-of-bounds-hit call against East Hampton following a pass reception treated the North Forkers to a first down at the 12, at which point Jordan Johnson broke through Greenport’s line to sack Drinkwater for a 4-yard loss. Forsberg was called for pass interference on the next play, at the 8, and after Frank Sierra, Greenport’s workhorse back, was stopped twice — the second time 2 yards shy of the line — Drinkwater handed off to Bill McAllister for the touchdown. Drinkwater’s subsequent point-after kick, with less than a minute to go until the half, tied the score at 7-7.

    Sierra was to go on to score three times in the second frame, from the 5, the 3, and the 1.

    East Hampton, now 0-2, is to play at Elwood-John Glenn on Saturday at 1 p.m. Glenn lost 32-14 this week to Mount Sinai, the team that beat East Hampton 41-14 in the season opener here.