Yellow Team Rolls in Sportime Arena’s Hockey Finale

The Yellow team took the action to Dodge and the White team right away
The White team’s Neil Falkenhan was the given the hook for two minutes midway through the third period for the above infraction. The Yellow team’s Justin Agnello was soon to follow, making it a 4-on-4 game for a bit. Jack Graves

The Yellow team, which apparently was the dominant one in roller hockey play this spring at the Sportime Arena in Amagansett, prevailed 6-4 over Tyler Jarvis’s White team in a hotly contested playoff final on Aug. 19.

Because he was ill that night, Jarvis’s teammates would not have been surprised had he sat the game out, but he arrived just before the puck was dropped.

The White team’s goalie, Dodge, who had applied blue war paint to his face before the clash, was given quite a workout that night, winding up with 46 saves. That is not to slight Tommy Powell, the Yellow team’s goalie, who was equally as impressive, finishing with 32. Dodge made 18 saves and Powell 16 in the final frame.

The Yellow team took the action to Dodge and the White team right away, with Chris Rydberg (two), Mike Murphy, and Kent Spellman sandwiching shots around one by White’s Austin Vecchio that Powell easily parried.

Following a kick save Dodge made of a shot taken by Murphy midway through the first period, the Yellow team retained possession and this time Murphy cashed in, assisted by Dave Holden.

With 2:46 to go in the period, the White team’s Marc Lowlicht clanged one off the right post. And in the final minute Dodge was called upon to make a flat-out save of a shot by Rydberg. Jarvis countered with a wrister that was headed for the upper right corner of the Yellow team’s cage, but Powell made a glove save to preserve his team’s 1-0 lead.

Dodge was credited with 13 saves in that opening period, Powell with seven.

The White team tied the score about seven minutes into the second period as Jarvis, who was assisted by Austin Vecchio, found the nets.

With 8:40 left, the Yellow team went up again as Charles Stoddart, who was camped out near the crease, deflected a shot past Dodge for 2-1.

Three minutes later, Jarvis again came through, taking the puck in off a faceoff, knotting the count for the second time that night. Soon after, he was sent to the sin bin for two minutes, and the Yellows capitalized on the man-up situation — the puck going from Rydberg to Holden — just before Jarvis reentered the fray.

Three goals — two by the Yellows and one by the Whites — had been scored before the final period had reached its halfway point. Rydberg, with an assist from Holden, got it going, for a 4-2 Yellow lead. Vecchio got one back for the Whites, but Spellman scored what would prove to be the game-winner with 11:04 left on the clock.

For a time in those final minutes, the teams played 4-on-4 with Neil Falkenhan of the Whites and Mike Glass of the Yellows having been sent off for infractions.

Once the teams were even again, Lowlicht scored for the Whites, for 5-4, after which he urged his teammates on during a timeout.

When play resumed, the Yellow team found itself facing an open goal, Dodge having vacated it so that the Whites could increase their firepower. But it was the Yellow team’s night: With seven seconds remaining, Rydberg slid the puck into the open cage from about 10 yards out for a 6-4 final.