The laughs were plentiful in Amagansett on a bitterly cold Friday night as Gordie George of the Parish of the Promised Land was crowned in the sixth annual pageant to raise money for the Donald T. Sharkey Memorial Community Fund.
Fire officials are reminding resident to make sure their carbon monoxide detectors are working and to pay attention to them, especially during cold weather when heating sources tend to malfunction. On Sunday, two people in Southampton Village could have died from carbon monoxide poisoning after they ignored an alarm.
A hearing before the Sag Harbor Village Board Tuesday night shed light on the circumstances surrounding an abandoned house on Union Street that is arguably the most blighted structure in village and may have started a process by which its health and safety concerns could be cleared.
A proposed subdivision that set members of the East Hampton Town Planning Board at odds when they first discussed it in October had a three-hour hearing on Feb. 3 before the zoning board of appeals, during which members asked hard questions of both sides.
On the South Fork, a 2013-14 statewide immunization survey revealed far lower percentages of immunizations at private schools as opposed to public ones, with as many as 36 percent not fully immunized at one school, and rates worthy of concern at some public schools as well.