Skip to main content

Barbecue Flare-Ups

Thu, 08/15/2019 - 12:34

The East Hampton Fire Department responded to four grill fires over the past week. All were the result of excess grease and poor cleaning, serving as a reminder that residents need to tend to their barbecue grills, Chief Gerard Turza Jr. said.

Friday night’s fire at a house on Pantigo Road around 8 p.m. spread from the grill to a wooden pergola on the deck, the chief said. The flames damaged the pergola and destroyed the grill, he said, adding that the owners had just finished cooking.

The other fires, which began as people were in the midst of grilling food, were easily contained and resulted in no damage, the chief said. On Sunday, two of them were reported almost simultaneously, the first on Scallop Avenue in Northwest Woods at 8:28 p.m., the other on Cosdrew Lane, East Hampton, at 8:30. The fourth flare-up occurred on Springs-Fireplace Road on Monday at about 1:25 p.m.

“Residents need to take the time to clean the grease pans and other components of their barbecues,” Chief Turza said.


Thank you for reading this far...
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.