Ernest Leroy Thomsen

May 30, 1928 - Feb. 20, 2013
Ernest Leroy Thomsen, May 30, 1928 - Feb. 20, 2013

    Ernest Leroy Thomsen, a former East Hampton Town policeman who retired as a sergeant in 1974, died at Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead on Feb. 20, from complications from diabetes and a heart attack. He was 84 and had been sick for a couple of months.
    Known as Roy, he was born in Queens to Ernest Thomsen and the former Jessie Bachelor on May 30, 1928. He grew up in Queens.
    He served in the United States military in both World War II and the Korean War. Proud of his service, he was a member of both the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion, attending meetings at the Legion’s Post 419 in Amagansett.
    In 1961, he joined the East Hampton Town Police force, where he served with distinction until retiring. He was promoted to the rank of sergeant in 1970. He was a member of the Policeman’s Benevolent Association.
    He lived in North Haven and Sag Harbor, before moving to Newtown Lane in East Hampton 30 years ago.
    With his wife, Ruth Hildreth Thomsen, he raised two children, Linda Sattler of Houston, and Jay Thomsen, who died before him. The couple separated over 30 years ago. Mrs. Thomsen has since passed away.
    He met Ann Adele Watson at a mutual friend’s house in Bridgehampton and the two eventually became companions, living together on Newtown Lane.
    “He liked to go to Montauk and watch the fishing boats come in,” Ms. Watson said yesterday. He loved fishing and boating. He had a boat for many years, which he kept in Sag Harbor, called the Always Something.
    “He loved fishing and anything to do with the water,” Ms. Watson said. “He was just a great person.”
    Besides Ms. Watson and his daughter, Mr. Thomsen is survived by two brothers, Robert and Kenneth Thomsen, both of Essex, Conn. A third brother, Richard Thomsen, died before him.
    The family asks that donations in his memory be made to the American Legion Post 419, P.O. Box 1343, East Hampton 11937.
Edward J. Golden, 48
    Edward John Golden, who was called Skip and spent the first half of his life in Montauk, died on Feb. 27 following a seizure. He was 48.
    Mr. Golden had been a resident of the Association for Help of Retarded Children’s intermediate care facility in Shoreham for the last 24 years.
    Born in Flushing on Aug. 10, 1964, he was the son of Edward Golden and the former Margaret Burke, now Margaret Lachman. His father died in 1969.
    He is survived by his mother, a native of Montauk, and his stepfather, Robert Lachman, who live in Montauk and in Florida.
    Mr. Golden was cremated. His ashes will be buried alongside his father. A memorial service is planned for a later date.
    The family has suggested memorial contributions to the Association for Help of Retarded Children, Suffolk Chapter, 2900 Veterans Memorial Highway, Bohemia 11716.